Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Unit Not Working! Fuse box lay out needed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 01:44 AM
1st Gear
Default Head Unit Not Working! Fuse box lay out needed!

Well this morning I went to work with the radio on. And then I came back from work only to find the head unit doesn't get powered on! No signs of anything. I'm thinking it should be a blown fuse. But then I open the fuse box (between the driver door's hinges and instrument cluster). Have to really thank Audi (or whichever previous owner) for not putting any diagram or layout of the fuses! So I'm wondering if anyone has one handy or could possibly tell me which ones are for the sound system so I could check. It's a 97 A6 Q with Bose sound system and CD changer (Delta series). Would highly appreciate it.

Oh BTW has anyone had this problem before and if so what was found to be the problem?

Thanks a million

Kianoosh

Old 08-25-2005, 02:12 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Head Unit Not Working! Fuse box lay out needed!

would it be in the manual?

Old 08-25-2005, 11:28 AM
1st Gear

Doh!!! haven't checked yet!!!

The unit works now (or it did this morning). But it kept cutting out a few times at the beginning or when I was switching between radio and CD mode. Also I could hear a "clicking" sound from behind the ignition switch everytime it cut out or was swithcing on. Is there some sort relay behind there? Or is it the ignition swtich that's going? I know that Eclipses had a clicking noise problem which was an early indication of a capacitor going on the ECU module. If that (issue with the capacitor) was addressed soon, the ECU unit would be badly damaged and have to be changed. Where is the ECU located in these cars anyway? Is it behind the radio unit?

any help is appreciated.

Old 08-25-2005, 06:38 PM
1st Gear

my head unit quit working, first it would cut out occasionally and if i played with the volume *** it would come back, sometimes switching to the radio, the dash mounted indicater and the head unit would tell me different things, weird stuff. i looked and looked for a replacement or a solution and ended up going with an aftermarket single disc player. sounds awesome as it is a high output deck that is still running signal through BOSE amplifier. this was my solution since my player was so touchy, going in and out without blowing any fuses or whatnot. anyway, hope this helps, d-

Old 08-25-2005, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

Thanks man,

It does sound close to what I'm experiencing with this unit. It may as well be going. I hope not as the radio is jammed in there! So even replacing this thing is gonna be a hectic thing. I do have a replacement (OEM). I hate to lose the CD changer even though I'm not a big fan having to go to the trunk to change a CD!

Kianoosh

Old 08-28-2005, 03:41 AM
1st Gear

as an installer with 10 years in the game and also as an audi A6 owner... i can safely tell you to junk the factory HU. i have a 96 A6 and that was the first thing i did. i hate to say it, but they're garbage. luckily, you can fire right through the bose amps without a rewire. just get a VW amplifier harness.

Old 08-28-2005, 05:20 PM
2nd Gear

polar,

i have a radio delema.

i have a 96a6 wagon w/ bose sys and factory chgr
but no head unit. any way to keep the stock components and
go aftermarket w/o re wiring changer for controls?

it is the delta cc head unit

any info would be appreciated

i can find the oem but after your post now i am not sure

Old 08-28-2005, 06:23 PM
1st Gear

you CAN fire through the bose without a rewire, my car is proof. let me check to see if a changer adaptor exsists when i go into work tomorrow. i'm preety sure somebody makes one, though.

Old 08-28-2005, 06:40 PM
2nd Gear

that would be great. what does it involve?
like i said i have NO head unit currently.
plus my harness was butchered to put in a aftermarket head unit and amp
and box.

they pulled most of it out leaving just the head unit.
speakers worked but no sub.

i just dont know how to procede.

Old 08-28-2005, 06:51 PM
2nd Gear

the system i have has the sub in the passinger rear compartment
will this still work w/ an aftermarket head unit

i have heard many different ideas on the subject

being an audi owner u know the deal

again,

thanks

Quick Reply: Head Unit Not Working! Fuse box lay out needed!