Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat Shield rattle....may need tech help

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 09:45 AM
1st Gear
Default Heat Shield rattle....may need tech help

Hey all,

So ive searched and searched and everything i've found says my rattle may be caused by a loose heat shield (which is what the Audi dealer told me it could be).

How would I go about getting to a heat shield? Does anyone happen to have a picture?

Old 06-22-2008, 07:53 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Heat Shield rattle....may need tech help

Its probably the heat shield on your cats. Not really a big deal just annoying. Take it to a muffler shop and ask them how much to fix it. They should quote you for free.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:14 PM
1st Gear

im pretty sure its not the cats....i stuck my head under the car and its definitely coming from the engine area. I'll verify it tommorow though.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:17 AM
1st Gear

I have the same problem! Its annoying as all hell. Mine rattles only when I leave a red light. I have the 6spd so when the clutch starts tograb and then car rolls forward the mystery rattle begins. I'll check in a little and get back to you. I've been meaning to do this for some time now!

Old 06-23-2008, 10:42 AM
1st Gear

Hi,

I have an 01 A6 2.7T that has this annoying rattle as well. Engine area - verified not the timing belt but that's what it sounds like - something loose. Also doesn't do it ALL the time. I notice it most when I use the highway. Sometimes it just seems to come on.

Could it be the heat shield too? Same area?

The Lansing, MI dealer WAS NOT able to diagnosis it and sent me on my merry way WITHOUT fixing it and charged me only for their labor (reduced at least).

What kind of noise is yours making?

Thanks

Old 06-23-2008, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

I think I solved my rattle problem. I noticed that I am missing on both sides, the 4 belly pan pins.
Well see if this works.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:49 PM
1st Gear

Not to be left out of this party, I have the rattle as well. Can't speak on your specific case Coors, but I completely removed my belly pan due to damage and the rattle is still there. Haven't replaced the pan yet. In my case (01 A6 2.7T) it also only occurs sometimes. It seems to more prevalent when the car or outside temp rises. In the morning when the car and outside air temps are lower, it almost never happens. The intensity of the sound also varies. At it's worst, I can even sometimes hear it when accelerating at highway speeds. I haven't had the chance to take it in yet for inspection of the heat seals. Anyone know where on the car they are located? I'd much rather do my own visual inspection if that can save a shop any time in finding/fixing the problem.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:21 PM
1st Gear

There are also heat shields that surround your turbos. I have seen broken tabs on these heat shield. These tabs contain a screw to secure it. When these tabs break due to rust, you of course can't secure it and therefore a rattle! Not sure if this is your issue, but I've seen this in the flesh!

OOOO

Old 06-27-2008, 11:50 AM
1st Gear

I have an exhaust rattle myself and I thought it was the cat.
Took it to the shop where they told me it wa the exhaust pipe which has an inner pipe.
they drilled a couple of small holes and welded thie inner and outer pipes together.
this did not work as there is not much accesebility to the pipe.
The alternative is a new pipe ( $800.00) at the dealer. or remove and weld the old pipe( about $70.00 )
I am going to have it removed and welded soon. I will post the results. BENG

Old 06-27-2008, 12:25 PM
1st Gear

i had the rattle too but mine turned out to be a cat issue....audi will replace the cats for free if your car has less than i think 75k miles and newer than a 2000.

Quick Reply: Heat Shield rattle....may need tech help