Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater problem or normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 07:40 PM
3rd Gear
Default Heater problem or normal?

I was in Chicago this weekend in 35o weather and my buddy (the *****) was cold so I turned on the heat with the car idling. It had already driven 20 miles and was well warmed up. Set controls to 74o and fan on high. The air that came out was definitely not hot.

I'm wondering if the heater is working correctly or maybe the automatic setting was just regulating the interior temperature. I don't keep the car hot when I drive so I just don't remember how it works. Does it sound broken or normal? I know my Crossfires crank out enough hot air to roast a turkey -- or drive in below freezing weather with the top down.

If it's broken, I'd like to know now and get it fixed before the really cold (below zero) weather kicks in. If it is broken, any ideas what I could check myself?

Old 11-18-2008, 01:47 PM

my gf's A6 car has the same problem, I just left the dealership, they told me it needed the thermostat replaced. The part itself is only $30 bucks, but they told me it took 7 hours of labor, they need to remove the timing belt and something else to get to it, so it was about a $700 fix. Hoping to find somewhere else cheaper to get it fixed, or leave it like that... Hopeful they are full of B.S, my little experience with the Audi dealership has been terrible..

Old 11-18-2008, 08:00 PM
1st Gear

I'm not sure, may be cuz the car wasn't running.
In my 2.8 automatic works on 75 (not 74), so may be try that.
But yeah, with the car running 74 should be really hot, but you had the auto button on, which works more precisely on 75,
good luck, and don't take it to a dealer!

Old 11-18-2008, 08:47 PM
3rd Gear

Yep -- Thermostat replacement requires thaking most of the front of the motor apart. Everytime I do a TB I replace the water pump, T stat, tensioners, and belt. 6-7 hours is about right... I'm having my TB done tomorrow. I was told about $400 for labor if I supplied the parts. Got a complete kit from Blauparts with new antifreeze for a bit over $200. I figure $800 is a good deal for a complete TB Job

Old 11-21-2008, 06:19 PM
3rd Gear

My TB was done 20 months and 26k miles ago using a Blauparts kit that included the thermostat. I always thought the thermostat controlled the water going from the block though the radiator. It is off when the block is cold, then when the water in the block heats up it opens to start cooling the water through the radiator.

If the thermostat was stuck closed, my car would overheat. If stuck open, I should still get heat in the car after the engine heats up (I drove for 20 miles).

Anyway, the interior is warm enough even when driving back from Wisconsin yesterday in 20o weather. I just don't get that big blast of heat from the vents. I'll experiment a little more.

PS - Total for my TB was $350 parts and $450 labor at the time.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:06 PM
3rd Gear

Just got the car back - It cost $300 for labor so the total came to $534 for the TB job including the waterpump, t-stat, tensioners, new antifreeze, cam seals, and front seal. I can't complain! Ps I also got a new serp...

Old 11-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Site Moderator

The heater usually never turns on under 75 degree setting, there is a crazy percentage calculation the a/c control head uses to calculate this that im not going to even try to fathom. Just turn the damn heat all the way up to the HI setting, if it blows hot air then you don't have any problems. I usually use the heater at the setting of 82.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:29 AM
2nd Gear

have you tried going higher... like say 82?

Old 11-22-2008, 11:49 PM
1st Gear

MIght be the flaps that control the air.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:10 PM
1st Gear

I have a B5.5 Passat with the same problem. From reading other boards, looks like I have a clogged heater matrix. I can see that someone mixed another coolant with the G12 (the reservoir has brown crap in it). It looks like an easy back-flush of the heater core to clear it. You may have the same issue???

Quick Reply: Heater problem or normal?