Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! Changed plugs, now its MISFIRING!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 03:53 PM
1st Gear
Default HELP!! Changed plugs, now its MISFIRING!!

I have an 01 2.7t...I noticed it was running a little rough at certain speeds, so I decided to change the plugs..I gapped them at .028 Now the car is missing like crazy. I sont know if I did something wrong, or disturbed something but I'm going crazy, and I dont want to get robbed by the dealership If I dont have to. ANY INFO WOULD HELP...I hope its something simple, since it wasnt doing this before..I used Autolite plugs...Could this be the problem?

Old 11-03-2008, 06:01 PM
1st Gear

mayb the plugs themselves are bad? ive never heard of Autolite. I only use OEM Plugs from a Dealer... but i do the work myself. I think it was 8 bucks a plug and they're pre gaped.

Edit: heres the link where you can get them off of ECS Tuning http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...ro&engine=2.7T

Last edited by Retard Riot 686; 11-03-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:42 PM
2nd Gear

Are the Autolite plugs specified for your car?
If so then your issue may be with one or more coil packs.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:03 PM
1st Gear
Default THe plugs are the right ones ...BUT GET THIS!!!! I

I even put back the old plugs, and its still misfiring like crazy......Before I changed the plugs, I had no symptoms like this.. I have no Idea....None of my coil packs were bad before I changed the plugs..Has anyone had this happened before? I'm scared to even drive it..

Old 11-03-2008, 09:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by marcb0127t
I even put back the old plugs, and its still misfiring like crazy......Before I changed the plugs, I had no symptoms like this.. I have no Idea....None of my coil packs were bad before I changed the plugs..Has anyone had this happened before? I'm scared to even drive it..
Yes. I just had it happen last week. My car is a '99 A6 and I changed the plugs but something was wrong with Cylinder 5's Plug so I bought another plug and had the Spark Plug wires replaced. Problem solved.... Some things to try... Are your coil packs fully connected? Did you torque the plugs to 22lbs? Check out this link and see if you could have messed anything up. http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng82.shtml

I no ive asked you alot of questions but all this info helps us determine what your problem might be. Are you sure that you put the correct wires/coilpacks in the right spots? This will cause them to misfire like hell.

Last edited by Retard Riot 686; 11-03-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

Ive never heard of AutoLite... could be that there plugs just suck ***... even though you put the old ones back in and problems still happend I would only suggest OEM (NGK) plugs... Where are you located?

Old 11-04-2008, 06:52 AM
2nd Gear

AutoLite used to be Ford's in-house parts manufacturer, like A-C Delco used to be for GM. .028 seems a bit close for a modern car. Are you sure that is correct? Otherwise, make sure you torque the plugs to 22 ft-lbs, not just hand tight like on a US or Jap car. German cars are VERY specific and demanding of this torque. I had this happen to me on a BMW.

Bob

Old 11-04-2008, 11:32 AM
1st Gear

How could you guys never heard of autolite, its a widely used brand in American cars. Anyways, you should have use oem parts. Even though the autolite will fit the Audi, there still might be some minor difference in dimension.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:38 AM
3rd Gear

If the car was running okay before the plug change, the only thing that will cause that is the plug change or wire related. Recheck the gap on the plugs and make sure to seat the wires correctly. BTW, where did you get the gap info? Different brand and type of plugs have different gap settings. Make sure the gap is correct.

Back in the days when I worked on my buddy's mopar 318, the same thing happened. We pulled all the plugs and noticed that one plug gap was screwed up. We must have tapped the tip while inserting...

Old 11-04-2008, 12:03 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by the G man
How could you guys never heard of autolite, its a widely used brand in American cars. Anyways, you should have use oem parts. Even though the autolite will fit the Audi, there still might be some minor difference in dimension.
Because I never owned/worked on American cars. I only buy German. Marc have you hooked it up to a Vag-Com or code reader to see if its just one cylinder or several?

Quick Reply: HELP!! Changed plugs, now its MISFIRING!!