Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: Here's the noise (Video inside)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 08:39 PM
1st Gear
Default HELP: Here's the noise (Video inside)

okay, i posted a while back about my a6 making noise in the front end area, possibly farther towards the passenger side. i've checked all the cv boots and they're all perfectly fine. i've also jacked up both sides of the car and tried to feel for play in the wheels and there was no play. what else could this be? i'm completely stumped now and it's absolutely driving me crazy. that's why i decided to just record the dang thing doing it so that maybe someone will know what the he!! it's doing! you have to listen pretty closely, but you should be able to hear what i'm talking about.
Video: http://media.putfile.com/Sick-A6

Old 03-25-2007, 10:18 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Here's the noise (Video inside)

anyone?

Old 03-25-2007, 10:52 PM
Site Moderator

Man its hard to hear on the video, but it sounds like a mean tire howl or you have an internal transmission problem. Try swapping out the tires and drive it, if that doesn't fix it i would have an audi tech check it out.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:25 AM
1st Gear

i tried swapping the tires, didn't change anything though. i do know that the cv boot on that side has been replaced recently (before i bought the car), so what i'm wondering is maybe they overtorqued the bolt that holds the cv shaft to the hub?

Old 03-26-2007, 06:41 PM
1st Gear

is it slight knocking noise/grinding noise? i need to point out that IF it a cv joint problem check the opposite side 1st, so if noise from passenger side check the drivers side 1st and vice versa, (previous experience), if cv boot done you don't know how long it was gone b4 it was replaced so the damage to jointmight already be done.if u checked joints jack up and rotate tyre with hand on drive shaft and FEEL if nothing rotate tyre opposite direction and feel again, me being me just jacked up front end started car chucked it in 1st and put couple fingers on shaft,you need to feel not listen for joint noise as you wont pick up noise at speed tyre rotating

Old 03-26-2007, 06:56 PM
1st Gear

soz ment to ask, is it continuous while driving or is it/does it get louder when u go round left or right bend, if continuous prob tranny if going round bend then joint

Old 03-26-2007, 10:39 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Mooosey

soz ment to ask, is it continuous while driving or is it/does it get louder when u go round left or right bend, if continuous prob tranny if going round bend then joint
yeah, it's only when i'm slowing down between 40 and 20 mph. it sounds a little bit worse if i take a sharp corner at the same time as slowing down.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:33 AM
1st Gear

Nice video....I would bring it somewhere and have them check it, or go for a ride with someone that knows european cars.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:33 AM
Site Moderator

If it happens more when you make a sharp turn its more than likely the torsen differential in the final drive of the transmission making the noise.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

okay,well i can't figure it out,so it's going in to audi on tuesday. they're going to install that recall for that protective plate covering the headlight switch wires at the same time, so hopefully it'll be a win win situation.

Quick Reply: HELP: Here's the noise (Video inside)