Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me find that damn line, guys! Plus build/install photos in here!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 10:34 PM
2nd Gear
Talking Help me find that damn line, guys! Plus build/install photos in here!

Hokay! I've got myself a sexy A6. It's got a sexy 2.7T V6 in it. I got sexy APR software. Had a sexy all stainless turbo back exhaust built for it. I bought myself a sexy Defi gauge. The instructions say "hook it up to a vacuum line". Okay, thats all good, 'cept theres like 100 of em under my hood. I'm lost, it looks like a subway map of Tokyo. I'd like to know which line i need to tap into to get some sexy numbers on my sexy new gauge. Also, I'm building a panel to mount the gauge in. I pulled my factory double din radio(not so sexy) and installed a sexy single din Eclipse unit, that matches my red OEM lighting(quite sexy, indeed). The new headunit is at the bottom of the large space left by the OEM radio and the top part will house the new sexy boost gauge. I'm working on making an abs panel for strength and support, with a silver weave(i KNOW, very VERY sexy) carbon fiber overlay panel on it. I'll post the build and install photos here as i progress on making the panel and such. Can somebody help me with locating the damn line? If you have the same motor, please snap a shot and put a little arrow on it. Thanks in advance. Now, as promised pikchas! You can see the album here with tagged pikchas http://s334.photobucket.com/albums/m...stall/?start=0

Name:  IMG_4005.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  110.6 KB
Name:  IMG_4001.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  176.2 KB
Name:  IMG_4002.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  164.0 KB
Name:  IMG_4004.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  150.7 KB
Name:  IMG_4093.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  140.1 KB
Name:  IMG_4096.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  52.6 KB
Name:  IMG_4097.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  97.9 KB
Name:  IMG_4098.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  96.9 KB
Name:  IMG_4100.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  82.8 KB
Name:  IMG_4101.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  92.1 KB
Name:  IMG_4102.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  70.9 KB
Name:  IMG_4103.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  71.4 KB
Name:  IMG_4104.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  65.5 KB
Name:  IMG_4105.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  83.7 KB
Name:  IMG_4106.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  109.8 KB
Name:  IMG_4107.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  59.3 KB

Last edited by votblindub; 09-30-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:35 PM
2nd Gear

Name:  IMG_4109.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  98.7 KB
Name:  IMG_4110.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  139.3 KB
Name:  IMG_4111.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  108.8 KB
Name:  IMG_4113.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  142.6 KB
Name:  IMG_4114.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  128.8 KB
Name:  IMG_4116.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  79.3 KB

thats it so far. as i do more work, ill post more photos.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:07 PM
1st Gear

i got the same car and got a boost gauge too, just need help installing it, like he said which line do i use for boost? also what is the easiest way to get boost line to engine comp. and whats easiest way to get power and ullimination wires?

Old 09-30-2008, 11:41 PM
2nd Gear

power and illumination is simple. look under the steering wheel. ill see if i can find what one it is so i can take a photo for you. as far as line placement? not so sure. ill have to dig around in there and see what i can do. ill post photos of everything though

Old 09-30-2008, 11:59 PM
1st Gear

why is everything sexy lol

Old 10-01-2008, 08:40 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by djez016
why is everything sexy lol
oh, because it is! i dont want non sexy things on my sexy car, yanno?
actually, i just wanted to make a lighthearted thread and keep it technical at the same time.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:53 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by A6_TUNER
i got the same car and got a boost gauge too, just need help installing it, like he said which line do i use for boost? also what is the easiest way to get boost line to engine comp. and whats easiest way to get power and illumination wires?
okay, under your steering wheel there's this panel, right? drop that and you'll see gobs of wiring. for power you can use a regular red 12v wire, they're red underneath there. you can go to an accessory wire as well, that's a yellow/black wire in the ignition harness. for illumination, you can tap into the parking lights. you want the positive wire, which is green/black for left side and green/red for right side. either one of those will work. you gauge will light up when you turn on your parking lights. alternate locations is the radio harness. there's an illumination wire in that harness as well, its the gray/blue wire. as always, i'm SO not responsible for what you guys do to your cars, so if u go hacking up your wiring don't blame me, 'kay? good luck with yours! post photos of your when you're finished and i'll post mine as well.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:32 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the help, now just need to know how to snake boost line through and where to put a T fitting

Old 10-01-2008, 02:21 PM
2nd Gear

yw, bro. look for grommets in the firewall. i dont gotta run lines, just a thin wire

Old 10-01-2008, 09:51 PM
2nd Gear

allright! i was able to locate almost everything I need for my gauge install, you guys.

here is my car with the plastic panels removed. I've numbered the things to keep track of whats what. I hope this helps you, A6_Tuner.
1-this arrow is pointing to the vacuum line coming out of the fuel pressure sensor, which looks like this close up

2-this is the actual fuel pressure sensor(fpr). it has 2 lines connected to it. the side has a metal line and the end has a rubber line.
3-fuel rail. the fpr is sitting on it.
4-these are diverter valves(dv). in my car i have the ones from the TT
5-this is a vacuum line connecting the DV's.
6-between the brackets is the white bit. this designates the T fitting that will be spliced into the line
7-this red line represents how the vacuum line will run from the T fitting into the boost sensor that comes with my gauge. now, most gauges have u running that vacuum line into the gauge itself, mine has a sensor and then its just wiring i have to run into the interior.
8-this is where the sensor will be mounted.

The gauge can be hooked up to several lines. my choices were a line off the manifold itself, fpr(as per instructions) or the DV lines. here is why i chose the DV lines. firstly, they are easy to get to. it will be easier for maintenance or replacement if need be. second is that i couldnt find a line thats connected to the manifold itself. the last reason is that if i go into the line on the fpr and for some odd reason it deprives it of vacuum or pressure the car will lean out a lot and start throwing codes or behaving erratically, i do not want to risk that. plus, its kinda tight to get in there with tools to get the damn t-fitting in there. i hope this helps others. if you guys got questions, let me know and ill see if i can explain it better or draw you a new diagram or something. good luck!

Quick Reply: Help me find that damn line, guys! Plus build/install photos in here!