Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with my 96

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Default Help with my 96

Hello,
I am brand new to this site and I am in need of help. I bought my first Audi, a very high mileage 96 A6 Quattro with a bad transmission. The car ran fine but wouldn't move forward. I bought a used tranny and a buddy and I put that in. While we were at it we changed the valve cover gaskets, timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, and oil pan gasket. We got everything back together and now the car will hardly run. You have to crank it over for a long time before it will fire, once it fires it runs pretty good, but if you shut it off it won't fire back up unless you crank it over for a long time again. Some of the things we have noticed are, 1. at times when we crank the car over an oil light comes on on the dash, I am not sure if it's an oil pressure or level light, it shows a pic of an oil can. The oil level is fine. 2. there is a vacuum line that is on the driver's side of motor towards the fire wall that is disconnected and we can't figure out where it goes(I have a service manual due in today so that I can figure that out hopefully) It does hold vacuum. 3. The tranny fluid is low in the new tranny at this point as we just wanted to make sure the car would run. 4. When we put on the new timing belt, we put marks on the crank and cam shafts to make sure that they didn't move when we removed the old belt. The pass side cam shaft may have moved, but only by one tooth on the belt.

Would any of these problems contribute to the car not running right, or is there something else I should look at? I am not much of a mechanic, but I work with two guys that both have done alot of work on Audis and they are baffled also. If I could get any ideas on what to look for I would greatly appreciate it. If I haven't described something properly let me know and I will do my best to explain it in more detail. Thanks in advance.