Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Needed - Went & Got Brake & Rotor Quote and...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 12:09 PM
1st Gear
Angry Help Needed - Went & Got Brake & Rotor Quote and...

So I hear grinding on my 2005 A6 Quattro 3.2. So I stop at Monroe Brakes and the tell me I need 4 rotors and 4 pads and the cost is $1,345. He shows me how they can't be machined down because of a lip and I don't know if I really need them or it he is just BS'ing me.

Do you know what size rotors I have on my car? I have dust covers so I can measure unless I get under the car I guess.

So I stop at Advanced Auto and ask for pricing and here is what I get. Front Rotors are like $140, Rear Rotors are like $60 to $80 and the pads are $35 for cheap ones and like $54 for the ceramic. So I call Monroe and ask why I can spend $400 and buy all my parts and they are charging me $1,000 more. Now I know businesses are in it to make money but please.

So I have a shop here in Hatfield PA that will put them on for $150 front and $130 back and i bring in my own parts. BUT what's with this sensor thing because If I had sensors they would have told me already, also I don't have tire pressure monitors either and my car was actually made in Nov of 2004.

Any help? Insight? Referrals? My email is krattzz@verizon.com or you can just reply here. Thanks in advance, Kratz

Old 07-19-2009, 12:21 PM
1st Gear

Check out these guys. Good service and price and correct parts for Audi.

http://blauparts.com/

You can buy these and have almost any shop do them. Or do it yourself, it's not that hard. You don't need to spend $1300+. You probably do need rotors.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:59 PM
1st Gear
Angry Thanks Bob....but

Is it true that when you can feel the lip of the rotor it's worn down? Also the guy at the garage told me they Audi rotors can't be machined because of that lip.

Also, how can I find out what size rotor I have? I have dust covers so I can't measure and don't have an mm measuring stick. Any ideas of the size of 2005 A6 Quattro rotors? Even when I go to websites like Autopartswarehouse.com and TireRack.com they are giving me different sizes for the make, year, and model.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:55 PM
1st Gear

I have been told by Audi mechanics that Audi rotors are not turned because they are potentially too thin if you do so. So I have either gone without replacing them when pads are replaced if they are in good shape, or just replacing if not. If you have damaged the rotor due to excessive pad wear, then just replace them. You have to pull them regardless. For size you just have to remove the wheel and measure.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:53 PM
1st Gear

Use this link to see how to measure rotors

http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_b...isc_size.shtml

Old 07-19-2009, 10:04 PM
1st Gear

remember that ceramic pads take time to heat up for optimal stopping power. If your area recieves alot of rain or snow then ceramic pads may not be the best choice for you as the pads will constantly be getting cooled by the moisture preventing them from working to their full potential. Creamics are more track pads. semi metallic are just fine just make sure and spend a little extra for the quiet pads

Old 07-19-2009, 10:30 PM
4th Gear

The 'lip' shouldnt hurt whether or not you can machine them but, from what I hear Audi rotors are already thin so you shouldnt machine them.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:36 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by krattzz
Any ideas of the size of 2005 A6 Quattro rotors? Even when I go to websites like Autopartswarehouse.com and TireRack.com they are giving me different sizes for the make, year, and model.
2005 3.2 - Front 321 mm by 30 mm - Rear 302 mm by 12 mm.

In later years the 3.2 received larger rotors. The C6 4.2s always had larger rotors.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:34 AM
1st Gear
Default Awesome Kevin, thanks!!!!! Pad Question Next....

Originally Posted by Kevin
2005 3.2 - Front 321 mm by 30 mm - Rear 302 mm by 12 mm.

In later years the 3.2 received larger rotors. The C6 4.2s always had larger rotors.
I was just told by the dealer the rotors are $109 each for both front and back. But the front pads are $148 and rear are like $56. Can I get these anywhere online? If there is a sensor it's sure not working because all I hear is the grind

Old 07-20-2009, 11:22 AM
3rd Gear

I had the pads replaced by the dealer at 40k under warranty. I use a local indie shop that has worked on my Audi's for 4 years and they replaced the pads and the rear rotors using Centrex parts at 101k. He was able to turn the front rotors. I broke them in gently and they are working fine -- no pulsing. I have 140k on the vehicle at this point. Now, I do mostly highway driving and have the MT6, which helps reduce wear and tear on the brakes. Cost was $545, parts and labor. I'm not saying I did the right thing turning the rotors, but to date it has caused no problems.

Quick Reply: Help Needed - Went & Got Brake & Rotor Quote and...