Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Shaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 11:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Help! Shaking

I just bought a 2002 audi a6 quattro, when I bought it the guy said it needed a new front right ball joint so I pulled the wheel off and found which ball joint needed replaced. I replaced it and I still have a terrible vibration in my whole car when I'm going 40-60 mph...both front Adela were replaced before I bought the car so I have no idea what is causing this shaking. Can someone help me out pleasE

Old 06-21-2011, 12:35 PM
1st Gear

Think the tire/wheel balance is needed, and alignment also.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:38 PM
1st Gear

Do you think that's it? Seems to easy lol

Old 06-22-2011, 01:51 AM
2nd Gear

You can hope but I have the exact same year of car and the exact problem and I have not been able to resolve that issue either.

My car is a 2002 a6 4.2, got new tires, new struts, new control arms (all of them), new axles, alignment and Tire balancing - vibration is not as bad as it was before but it is still there

I don't know what to tackle next to finally have a smooth ride. If you ever resolve it completely, please let me know what you did.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:39 AM
1st Gear

Wheel/Tire balance .... Road Force by Hunter machine is unique while other balancing machines cannot do.

http://www.gsp9700.com/

Old 06-22-2011, 08:42 AM
1st Gear
Default I have a bad vibration, too

Mine is more of a shudder, actually, and the steering wheel does not shake....just the car itself. I have an 04 2.7t on which I recently replaced the front axles with remans, and that's when it seemed to appear. The upper control arms were replaced a while back by the dealer under CPO warranty. These cars are notorious for control arm wear. Had the dealership align it after the axles were replaced, still shuddering. The driveline has some 'slop' in it, and the shuddering only occurs when I am on the gas between 35-70MPH. I accelerated FT from a stop while turning left and I thought the wheels were going to fall off!

I have not checked the wheel balance, and I am about 6K miles from needing new tires so that may be a contributing factor. My suspension 'chirps' when I go over bumps, and I'm told the ball joints need to be replaced...can anyone confirm this?

The next thing I want to check is the motor/trans mounts and the driveshaft U joint. Blauparts.com has some info on the symptoms of a bad U-joint that sound similar to mine.

I need to get this issue solved before I install any go-fast bits from APR and/or Revo.

Last edited by IPStevieB; 06-22-2011 at 08:45 AM. Reason: spelling error.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:22 PM
1st Gear

Damn Sheldon, I only replaced the upper rear control arm. I'm not sure what to do now if none of those helped you out.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:07 PM
2nd Gear

Wheel and tire balance is first, but make sure you have a competent tech. Most aren't. Make sure your tires are round. Most aren't. You can get into a whole school on matching high spots on tire to low spots on wheels which will help, but that's beyond this reply.
Check wheels for damage. Most are OK.
Change struts. A bad strut will let a marginal tire shake when a good strut would control it.
Rebuild transmission. No kidding. The stub axles, evidently, get loose and can cause the vibration. The only solution, evidently, is to rebuild the transmission.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:50 AM
1st Gear

not sure if this helps but I had a shake that would come on about 40 and continue to about 65 I had the wheels and tires road forced balanced and they showed to be fine but they were not. Luckily My daughter has an a6 also so I was able to switch tires and rims around between the two and narrowed it down to my left rear tire as I said it balanced out fine even on the Hunter road force but there was something wrong with the tire and it was causing my shake.

one way to help narrow it down is to switch your tire/rim from front to rear one side at a time and see if the shake changes any as you do this. when my bad tire was on the front is caused a steering wheel shake and when I moved it to the rear it caused the whole car to shimmy. This is what made me feel that I had a tire/rim problem even though they all showed to be fine on the roadforce balance.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:30 PM
1st Gear

over the weekend i put on a set of stock 16" wheels & tires that i bought off of craigslist. drove the car today and the shaking was almost completely gone! drove like a new car, i was so shocked. the only shaking in the car now is when i break (rotors going bad) I hope this post helps some people out there that had the same problem that i had

Quick Reply: Help! Shaking