Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help! snow chains for 2000 A6 Quattro

Old 12-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Default help! snow chains for 2000 A6 Quattro

Hi Folks, I've got a 2000 A6 Quattro and am required to chain up for travel this evening. I do not have my owners manual and need to know which wheels to put the chains on. Can someone help out? Thanks!

Old 12-14-2008, 08:50 PM
1st Gear

What does " required to chain up " for travel mean? What state/country are you in ?
IF you put winter tires on a quattro, you have to put all 4 winter tires on, and I guess you would need chains on all 4 tires also, it wouldn't help putting chains on only 2 tires.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by WolfsA62.8Q
What does " required to chain up " for travel mean? What state/country are you in ?
IF you put winter tires on a quattro, you have to put all 4 winter tires on, and I guess you would need chains on all 4 tires also, it wouldn't help putting chains on only 2 tires.
depends what size your rims are, is how u know what size chains u need, i would go with 2 chains in the front, no 4 need it. also good tread tires is a must in snow.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:33 AM
2nd Gear

Quattro and chains?

You go ice fishing? Or to Nepal?

Old 12-15-2008, 01:23 PM
3rd Gear

It would help if EVERYONE stated where they lived in their info so we could give better answers.

I can only guess that the guy asking about chains on a Quattro is not in SoCal, or Fla. and the guys asking about painting their wheels are not in New England. The only way I could tell that the guy asking about the cost to fix his Audi with a crunched rear quarter was not in the US was to look at his plate - I almost made a comment about why Purchars from Germany before I saw the Continental plate..

Please list where you live so we can pick on those from warm climates that own Quattros .

Old 12-15-2008, 02:56 PM
SoCal Crew Member

I live in SoCal and the Caltrans people stopping traffic to tell everyone to put chains on told me that I need to too. When I got to the top I looked at all the other cars without chains and was like bull I don't need them.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:27 PM
2nd Gear

If you go up to Big Bear, CA there are several severities with different requirements. If there is only light snow you will be asked to have chains unless your vehicle has AWD. In more severe conditions chains will be required regardless of FWD or AWD.
I think I would put chains on the front because of steering... F and R would be nice too!
The CHP would enforce the chains requirements.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:10 PM
SoCal Crew Member

I was thinking of getting a set for all 4 lol. I also heard something about front right and left rear or something like that because they're the main ones or something. I'm not too sure, anyone hear something like this.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:03 PM
3rd Gear

There are 3 conditions in California that CHP uses to catagorize snow condition. R-1: Chains required on 2WD vehicle if the vehicle does not have snow tires. R-2: Chains are required on all vehicles except 4WD or AWD vehicles with proper tires. Usually all season tires are okay, BUT you still need to carry chains. R-3: All vehicles require chains. Out of 10 plus years driving up and down Sierras, I never had to put on a chain on an AWD vehicle, because if the condition is really catagorized as R-3, they close the road.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:08 PM
2nd Gear

Now, we were concerned in previous posts if getting a new tire with 3 old ones was bad for the quattro, it was stated that the quattro requires the tires to be less than 2/32 of an inch different from each other. Wouldn't adding chains to only two wheels severely effect this? Am I wrong in thinking this or what? I would assume all 4 wheels or none.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help! snow chains for 2000 A6 Quattro