Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Still have oil leaks!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:18 AM
1st Gear
Angry HELP! Still have oil leaks!

So i have a 98 A6 Q 2.8L and have replaced the following gaskets/seals on my car:

Valve cover gaskets
Camchain tensioner gaskets with half moon seals
Lower oil pan gasket

Yesterday I changed out my lower oil pan gasket while I performed a routine oil change. Before doing this job I noticed a drip of oil a day under the car on the passenger side. Now after changing out the oil pan gasket, over night oil dripped under the center of the enine. My cover is on the car and I didn't have time to look this morning as my wife drives the car to work.

What else could be leaking? I'll make sure I torqued the bolts down properly again on the oil pan but isn't it 7 ft/lbs torque???

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Site Moderator

Oh man, i love the 2.8L and it never breaks but it does love leak its oil.
You have to determine whether its leaking from the top of bottom of the motor. If you smell oil burning or notice smoke from behind the motor its most likely a rear cam plug, cam adjuster seal or valve cover gasket. If you changed the valve cover gasket get a mirror and double check you didn't pinch or twist the gasket when putting the valve cover back on, its easy to do on the 2.8L.
You could also be looking at the upper oil pan which i doubt, an upper oil pan leak you probably can't do yourself.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:19 AM
1st Gear

Do I need 2 cam plugs only?

Old 12-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Site Moderator

There are two cam plugs in the back of the motor, and there are two front cam seals behind the cam sprockets themselves (which suck to change) pull the timing cover off and make sure there isn't a leak coming from those seals either. The seal goes around the cams. The plugs in back are just pushed into the heads.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:13 PM
3rd Gear

Don't forget the cam seals in the back.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

okay so how many seals/plugs do I need to order??

Do I need 2 cam plugs, 4 cam seals, and 4 crankshaft seals?

Old 12-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Site Moderator

Well identify the leak first, chances are the two front cam seals aren't leaking.
Most likely its the rear cam plugs and or cam adjuster seals, or pinched valve cover gasket. It should be easy to see with a quick check and a mirror.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:09 PM
1st Gear

Thanks auditech79!

So for the cam plugs to be removed, do I just pry them out with a pick tool or similar?

Old 12-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Site Moderator

I just use either a pick or a flathead screwdriver, just don't try to pry into the aluminum head causing more problems. Poking a hole through the seal and pulling it out with a small 90* angle pic is the easiest way.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:24 PM
2nd Gear

For the cam seals to be properly installed - no start of the engine for at least 4 hours is required.
This should explain why many leaks return or persists.

As many have said many times - German cars tend to leak and fixing a leakage could be life time assignment.

Quick Reply: HELP! Still have oil leaks!