Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help urngent!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 08:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Help urngent!!

I am trying to replace a bearing joing that connects the steering wheel to the control arm
I was only able to take half of the screwing part off and i cant get the whole thing off. THere is a screw and I dont know if I need to take it off or just leave it there

do I need any special tools to remove this piece? do I need to take out the screw??
please help, I need to fix this urgent

Attached Thumbnails Help urngent!!-ball-joint.jpg  
Old 04-11-2010, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

If I understand your question, you need to remove the screw before you can remove the tie rod end from the spindle. The vertical shaft of the tie rod end is scalloped out and the screw retains it. I put the nut back on until it was flush with the end of the screw and then used a small sledge hammer to break it loose. At that point you can use a punch to drive it the rest of the way out. Once the screw is out, you can use a ball joint separator, a pickle fork, or a hammer to remove the tie rod end from the spindle. I hope that helps. Good luck!

Last edited by ninetynineA6Q; 04-12-2010 at 12:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-11-2010, 10:39 PM
2nd Gear

For future reference that piece is called the outer tie rod end. Their replacement is a regular thing on most if not all cars.

99a6 gave good advice on getting out it. +1 . Good luck

Old 04-11-2010, 10:52 PM
1st Gear

thankyou, I have tried doing that but the screw or the rod wont give and they are stuck on there really tight. I couldnt remove it, so I called a friend who is studying to become a mechanic, hopefully he can get it out easily

Old 04-12-2010, 12:10 PM
2nd Gear

Everything about control arms and tie rods is tight because they all rust into place. Your replacing the piece so dont be afraid to get rough with it. Its also a good idea to replace the TRE pinch bolt with the TRE

Old 04-12-2010, 11:38 PM
1st Gear

Thanks, my friend( the mechanic) and I ended up doing just that. We banged the hell out of the screw that pinches the tie rod and we had to replace it aand it was not easy to find one. Also we needed to use a grinder because the tie rod was so tight we needed to cut it in half and then grind it doing for a socket. It was horrible for having to be an easy job.

Unfortunatly my wheel ended up being bad, so I need to take it in for a wheel balance and aligment. I want to go to NTB, but there is none by my school and I dont want to travel 2.5 hours to go to one. Any other place I can go?

Old 04-12-2010, 11:55 PM
1st Gear

I took mine to a local independent shop after I changed the control arms and TRE's a few weeks ago and it was less than fifty bucks for the front end alignment (even using my best tape measure and string, I apparently couldn't get it back within the factory specs on my own). I'd call a few of the local shops and see if they can help you out.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:13 AM
2nd Gear

Sorry it turned out to be a toughie. The good news is if you change them 30,000 miles down the road you can spare yourself all the trouble with rust 100 000 miles old and do it in one afternoon.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:45 PM
1st Gear

Thats a good point, I am still learning about car maintance. My car has 110k miles and I need to change many things but unfortunatly I dont have to money to pay for them at this moment, I am a full time student and I hate asking for money to my parents.

I know one thing I have to do for sure is my timing belt, I am really worried about changing that........................... Iam praying it doesnt break

but my car still drives s good or better since I got it 4 years ago
its an A6 01, 2.8 ( I wanted the 2.7, but I was worried replacing the trubos, I drive stupid sometimes)