Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With Weird Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:14 AM
1st Gear
Default Help With Weird Steering Problem

I think it might be a power steering problem, but not sure. A couple days ago I went drifting in a big parking lot in the snow, tons of fun, have done it before, but this time when I got all done and drove off, it was almost like I didnt have power steering. Sitting still, I COULD NOT turn the wheel at all, it was like the tires were stuck, driving they will turn. I thought it might be a problem with snow in the wheel wells since there was like a foot and a half of snow where I did this, but I still have the problem after clearing out the wheel wells of snow. Im going to pressure wash the wheel wells tomorrow at work and see if there was just some ice in there or something, but I doubt thats the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-05-2008, 03:55 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Help With Weird Steering Problem

you might have blown the servotronic steering relay somehow. it's up under the dash, and pretty much what it does is to boost the power steering when you're moving slower so that it's easier to turn the wheel, but stiffens it up when you're driving faster. i'll see if i can dig up the link for you so you know where to look for it. if i remember right, it's pretty easy to get to.

here you go, just found the link. it shows how to get to it and what it looks like: http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec60.shtml

Old 02-05-2008, 03:18 PM
1st Gear

Awesome! Is there any way to see if it is blown by visually looking at it? Thanks for the info!!

EDIT: I was in the parking lot today and turned the wheel, and at first it was almost impossible, but after a couple half turns both ways it loosened up and turned just fine, but as soon as it sat for a second or two it stiffened back up. Ever heard of it?

Old 02-05-2008, 05:36 PM
1st Gear

hmmm....i dunno, it could still be the relay, but it almost sounds like the power steering pump might be going bad. i know guys with a6s sometimes pull the relay all together because it gives the car a sportier feel, and because some complain of overcorrecting while driving on the highway because of it. there is the possibility that the relay somehow either got wet inside somehow (very unlikely, i know) or maybe it's shorting out against something inside of itself. i would try just pulling the relay all together like in the link i sent you, and see if that changes anything. if anything, you might just need a new relay, or you might like it without the relay in and it might cost you nothing but time. good luck.
-mike

Old 02-05-2008, 09:44 PM

Thank you very much for your help, I have an A6 99 Quattro with the same problem, I did take the relay out, however the serial # on it is different[>:], I'm attaching a picture with it, I looked around for it and I was not able to find any reference to it, the car drives the same with or without the relay in so I'm thinking chances are that's the problem, did any of you see a relay that looks like the one on the picture or know for what model it's used? I'm asking because I'll be very pissed offat my mechanic if he put the wrong piece in I'm pretty sure he did but I want to be 100% sure. Thank you very much again, tomorrow I'll try to find one with the same part # as the one in the tech article and will post my results.

Ps, sorry about the quality of the picture it was taken with a camera phone. Just in case the info is "Servotronic 7038 900 209 4B0 907 307 3x1 448 14/98"

Old 02-05-2008, 10:20 PM
1st Gear

Ill go pull it right now and see. I tried turning the wheel while I was stopped at the train tracks and it stayed "stuck" unlike earlier in the parking lot heh. Im hoping that the relay is the problem as that would be an easy fix. Are those very expensive? Ill have to try to find an Audi parts site and see.

While im here getting help for a problem (which I think we have pretty much solved, well see in about 10 mins after I pull the relay and drive it) I have another question. My car is loud. I have mufflers, but not that kind of loud. Like it is making a really loud whine while its idling, and when I accelerate there is a loud...I dont know, "blowing" sound when boost occurs. Think there might be a hole in one of the hoses or something in the boost line? I dont have an Audi dealership so nobody around here can pressure test it (and im to broke to do it myself) so how would you recommend going about solving this issue?

Fernandus: I would go to an Audi parts site and put in the party number on there and see if you can get a replacement. Ill check for you if I find a good site.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:13 AM
1st Gear

Ok heres the deal. I finally got around to opening it up and lookin inside, and was kinda confused by what I saw. First off I dont have a relay 605. I have somethin like 329 or 392. I am also missing two relays, the ones directly to the left of 3xx, right above the big orange relay. I pulled 392 since it was in the spot of 605 in the Audi World pix, and drove it and nothin happened, so I am hopin thats the prob but not sure. Is 392 the same as 605, just for a certain model or somethin?

Old 02-28-2008, 06:59 AM
1st Gear

Have you guys checked the power steering fluid yet?

I was in a similiar situation a few years ago in a Ford F250. it turned out the power steering fluid overheated (from so much aggressive use of the steering wheel). After it cooled down it was alright, but I had to add some to bring it back up to the correct level.

definitely worth a look..

Old 02-28-2008, 10:51 AM
1st Gear

This happened to me with my 1996 A4 2.8. I went drifting, then like 3 days later, the car began to make a whining noise when I turned the wheel. I thought that I was running out of Power Steering fluid. When I added some the power steering completely disappeared, and the fluid began to leaque through my left outter tierod(coming somewhere from the inside). I replaced the pump my self and it didnt help. I couldnt figure out what it was, and the mechanic said that it would cost about 1,500-2,000 to fix. So i just sold the car with no powersteering LOL. Good luck man. I hope it's nothing big, or atmost the powersteering pump, because other repairs cost a shitload.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:38 AM

Check the power streering fluid.

Quick Reply: Help With Weird Steering Problem