Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID conversion consideration

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 12:04 PM
3rd Gear
Default HID conversion consideration

Hey folks... FYI here. I have been considering HID conversion kit for awhile since noticing light output through California Sierras has been somewhat unsatisfying. I looked at various HID kits, read their reviews and researched possible implications of converting to a HID kit in general. During the process I came across this site.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

Putting primary major emphasis on actual visibility for distance and foul weather application. I actually decided against the HID kit.

With that said, I noticed there are numerous high performance halogen bulbs. Sylvania Silverstars, Osram Silverstars, Philips Vision Plus, Narva Range Power in different variety, Sylvania Xtravision, Bluelight bulgs and etc... Choices were almost limitless. After some research, I concluded that blue tinted blubs are pretty much bad. Also based on their light output, bulb life was directly affected. IE higher the light outout, lower the bulb life.

So with these considerations, I decided on Sylvania Xtravision H1 low beams and CPI 55W H3 selective yellow fogs. I have to say, it is much improvement over stock, especially in foul weather.

I do admit that HID light conversion looks cool. But if you are looking for function over esthetics, I would recommend staying away from HID conversion. Just my 2 cents...

Old 02-12-2009, 12:47 PM
3rd Gear

The article from Danielsternlighting is correct in almost every regard except....Projector housings are different than reflector housings.

In my C5 A6 my aftermarket hid setup performs far better than silverstars and so forth. The shape of my light has not changed. After my accident my headlights had to be aligned and the body shop said they weren't distorted at all. My cutoffs are perfectly intact. That article is old and newer hid kits now adjust the position of the arc to better match your light optics.

In a reflector housing such as a caravan, civic, pretty much all cars or my father in laws outback hid kits are worthless. The light is so distorted that it is aesthetics over function.

I wasted more money on Silverstars over the years, yes they put out more light, but with a car equipped with high quality projector headlamps compatible with hid kits, Silverstars are a waste of money. Well that's just my opinion anyways.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:47 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
But if you are looking for function over esthetics, I would recommend staying away from HID conversion. Just my 2 cents...
Hey... long time coming

Thanks MUCH for sharing this HX, as it restores my ... sanity. I thought I was kinda pissing against the wind in a headlight topic some month or so back...

Old 02-12-2009, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

4300K HID in a projector housing will be brighter than the Sylvania Xtravision for actual visibility and distance and foul weather. This is one case where your research did not pay off sorry to say, but you did save alot of money

Old 02-12-2009, 02:08 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Jeffla
The article from Danielsternlighting is correct in almost every regard except....Projector housings are different than reflector housings.

In my C5 A6 my aftermarket hid setup performs far better than silverstars and so forth. The shape of my light has not changed. After my accident my headlights had to be aligned and the body shop said they weren't distorted at all. My cutoffs are perfectly intact. That article is old and newer hid kits now adjust the position of the arc to better match your light optics.

In a reflector housing such as a caravan, civic, pretty much all cars or my father in laws outback hid kits are worthless. The light is so distorted that it is aesthetics over function.

I wasted more money on Silverstars over the years, yes they put out more light, but with a car equipped with high quality projector headlamps compatible with hid kits, Silverstars are a waste of money. Well that's just my opinion anyways.
I have to clarify that I am not a lighting expert in anyways. With that said, when I changed the light bulb in my A6, which has "projector style" housing, it still has reflector where the bulb sits in. That is the part that I question. Is that halogen reflector designed for HID bulb light pattern? I don't know, but the chance is that it is not. I am not doubting the intensity of the light coming from a typical HID is not any brighter than a halogen. HID bulb is BRIGHTER. But even considering vertical cut off is well addressed, does one know for a fact that the distance light pattern from a HID in halogen housing is better than a halogen in halogen housing? Unless the photometric is verified, I like to believe not.

Call me an ultimate pessimist... but if the HID lighting retrofit was a easy as everyone thinks it is, I wonder why major lighting manufacturers, such as Osram, Philips, Sylvania, Narva and etc are not releasing HID kits advertised to be as a retrofit kit. Only ones that I notice are 3rd party independent sources. I would figure there is a ton of money to be made.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:10 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by the G man
4300K HID in a projector housing will be brighter than the Sylvania Xtravision for actual visibility and distance and foul weather. This is one case where your research did not pay off sorry to say, but you did save alot of money
Are you sure about that?

Old 02-12-2009, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

Yes I am positive. I have tried upgarde Sylvania, Philip, Piaa and Hoans bulbs, none of them even come close to HID's light output. Also, the typical life of a HID bulb is more than 10 times of those high performance halogens. A typical Halogen bulb puts out about 800 Lumens, a typical 4300K HID light puts out 2800 Lumens. 3 and half times as bright. Your Audi have projector lense, not reflectors, so just pop in a HID kit. And the reason why companies like Sylvania and Philips do not sell after market HID kits is because it is illegel to use aftermarket HID kits on in the US, unless its for show purpose or off road use, but its just another law that is impossible to enforce by the police.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:35 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by the G man
Yes I am positive. I have tried upgarde Sylvania, Philip, Piaa and Hoans bulbs, none of them even come close to HID's light output. Also, the typical life of a HID bulb is more than 10 times of those high performance halogens. A typical Halogen bulb puts out about 800 Lumens, a typical 4300K HID light puts out 2800 Lumens. 3 and half times as bright. Your Audi have projector lense, not reflectors, so just pop in a HID kit. And the reason why companies like Sylvania and Philips do not sell after market HID kits is because it is illegel to use aftermarket HID kits on in the US, unless its for show purpose or off road use, but its just another law that is impossible to enforce by the police.

I once again agree that the light level is higher in HID. I never doubted that and never will. But lets just think about this in scientific manner.

Here is a standard H1 bulb dimension.

And here is a standard D2S HID bulb dimension that is included in most HID kits.

As you can notice there is about 2mm difference in center of light location. Considering the size of the lamp reflector diameter is in 2 to 3 cm range, the dimension difference in percentage is 6 to 10% change in focal length. (Here is a projector housing diagram)

Perhaps I am just maticulous, aka ****. But 6 to 10% change in focal length is significant. 100 feet down the road, it is 6 to 10 feet change, which I believe is significant.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:44 AM
1st Gear

You will need to buy a H1 re-based HID kit, if you buy a good kit, it will have the correct focal point.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:54 AM

i dont know much about lighting but i googled HID conversion kits and what is a kit that someone would recommend me to purchase n instal becuase ive been just looking at replacement bulbs such as that "fake" the effect i assume
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=380094453328
but i assume after reading this thread that i should go with the kit to make a good investment
thoughts or opinions on this?
thanks

Quick Reply: HID conversion consideration