Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you remove climate buttons?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 10:21 PM
2nd Gear
Default How do you remove climate buttons?

I want to take out my climate buttons to repaint them. How do you get them out of there without breaking them. Do they offer replacement buttons? I can't find any.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:26 PM

Not sure.. I found this in the manual...
Trim section and switch-panel trim, removing
1 - Trim section
q Open radio flap -3-.
q Open front ashtray.
q Starting at bottom, carefully unclip trim section -1- at fasteners -5- (6x).
2 - Switch-panel trim
q Starting at bottom, carefully unclip switch-panel trim -2- at fasteners -4- (4x).
3 - Radio flap
4 - Fasteners
5 - Fasteners

Attached Thumbnails How do you remove climate buttons?-trim.jpg  
Old 05-30-2009, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

I'd love to know as well-it's the one part of my car that isn't just about perfect. I have a sneaky suspicion that it's not possible/worth the effort.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:19 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by crazyguy
I'd love to know as well-it's the one part of my car that isn't just about perfect. I have a sneaky suspicion that it's not possible/worth the effort.
I've heard it's possible, some owners remove them and spray them solid with satin black. Like yourself though I would rather have a messy one than a broken one. I'll give them a light tug and if they come out I'll let you know.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:44 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jackmup
I've heard it's possible, some owners remove them and spray them solid with satin black. Like yourself though I would rather have a messy one than a broken one. I'll give them a light tug and if they come out I'll let you know.
If you could get them off then it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to cut some stickers and spray them with the proper symbols.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:15 AM
4th Gear

I looked around and found one guy who removed the buttons by prying with a really flat screwdriver.. he says to tape the bezel or it'll scratch, but they should pop out.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:08 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks I'll give it a try. If I tape the bezel though I'll have to paint that too.

maybe I can get in there with the corner of a razor blade

Old 06-01-2009, 12:03 PM
2nd Gear

Ok this is how I did it.

I took a utility razor( triangular on ends for a utility knife) and slid it in on TOP of the buttons and flicked them out- easy behind the buttons are prisms for the light the angles go out to left or right not in together (you will understand if you take them out)

Now how to make the + and - or just forget it?

Old 06-01-2009, 12:25 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Jackmup
Now how to make the + and - or just forget it?
I would clean them good, spray a light dark (black) primer, spray a light coat of paint, then make the signs by hand with white paint or perm. marker (that way you control your hand better and the signs come out thinner, better), and finally apply a couple layers of clear coat.
I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:10 PM
2nd Gear

I did it! They came out nice I cut a slim strip of avery label to make the signs. Looks good took about 20 minutes my hands are killing me from holding steady putting the signs on but worth it and the cost-----FREE! my favorite. I used crap I had in the cabinet.

I'll post the pictures and a how to tonight.

Quick Reply: How do you remove climate buttons?