Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To Install Shift Lock Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 02:13 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy How To Install Shift Lock Solenoid

After spending two days trying to get the little thing in there, me and my mechanic have given up. We see absolutely no room for the fingers to get it in there.

Or are we going about it the wrong way? Do we have to bring down the tranny and put it in from the bottom of the car? There has to be an easy way...

This is a A6 2.8 auto 1998. The car had a serious water damaged that destroyed the solenoid (and the TCU).

Thanks

Old 02-24-2010, 03:13 PM
Site Moderator

You should invest in a bentley manual (cd based) for your vehicle. It should have the instructions on how to replace that in there. I've never had to replaced one on an A6 so i can't really comment.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:30 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
You should invest in a bentley manual (cd based) for your vehicle. It should have the instructions on how to replace that in there. I've never had to replaced one on an A6 so i can't really comment.
Thanks.
Actually I have the CD (along with the Vag software), but the instructions are so complicated to follow and believe me, I consider myself very mechanically inclined! I have searched several Audi/VW sites with no positive results. The room is just to small for the fingers to get it in there. But ultimately the manual should have the answer.

I guess I am looking for an easy way, if there is one....

Thanks again

Old 02-25-2010, 08:49 PM

Do you have any photographs of the shift lock solenoid on your 1998 A6 2.8L 30 valve engine with automatic transmission? I looked at www.vagcat.com in their catalog, but I could not find where it is located. My Bentley includes only up to the the 1998 A6 wagon. Perhaps someone will see the photograph and be able to suggest a solution.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:28 AM
1st Gear

I have no pics and unfortunately I am away at the moment. I saw a pic on the web for the same. I am going to try and find the link so I can post it. Thanks

Old 05-30-2020, 07:31 AM
Default My s

Originally Posted by planckscale
Thanks.
Actually I have the CD (along with the Vag software), but the instructions are so complicated to follow and believe me, I consider myself very mechanically inclined! I have searched several Audi/VW sites with no positive results. The room is just to small for the fingers to get it in there. But ultimately the manual should have the answer.

I guess I am looking for an easy way, if there is one....

Thanks again
shift lock solonoid is workinf intermittently and I have to keep stripping the center console down and lifting it off to lift little flap with my finger . Any help with either ridding this Little bugger from the car entirely or possibly help replacing . It's destroying my soul I can't find ant information on fixing it anywhere 😐😥😥 pls any help would be so appreciated.dan
its a 2006 A6 Quattro

Old 07-15-2021, 02:57 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by planckscale
After spending two days trying to get the little thing in there, me and my mechanic have given up. We see absolutely no room for the fingers to get it in there.

Or are we going about it the wrong way? Do we have to bring down the tranny and put it in from the bottom of the car? There has to be an easy way...

This is a A6 2.8 auto 1998. The car had a serious water damaged that destroyed the solenoid (and the TCU).

Thanks

Did you Fix the problem and did you half to remove it from bottom of car if so how did you go about doing that what did you half to remove thanks. Im in the same boat