Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long does it take to change out fuel filter on a 2.8L Quattro?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 02:39 PM
1st Gear
Question How long does it take to change out fuel filter on a 2.8L Quattro?

I don't have a huge window of opporturnity to do it this weekend but I want to do it ASAP this weekend. It seems like it's fairly simple but I'd like to hear from someone who's already done it.

Thanks.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Site Moderator

Like 5 minutes.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:12 PM
3rd Gear

Come on auditech!!! 5 minutes??? I say 6. Give the guy some slack. You will need a 15mm wrench, 17 mm wrench, a triple square bit (I think M10), a couple of line crimpers, and a waste bucket. As for parts, a new filter and 4 new washers. 2 are larger than the others.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Site Moderator

Oh yes, make sure the key is out of the ignition as well, taking a bath in gasoline is never that nice.
Hey its better than mine! A B5 A4 requires dropping down the gas tank a little bit just to get the clamp holding the filter loose, takes me like an hour to change that turd.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:30 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
Come on auditech!!! 5 minutes??? I say 6. Give the guy some slack. You will need a 15mm wrench, 17 mm wrench, a triple square bit (I think M10), a couple of line crimpers, and a waste bucket. As for parts, a new filter and 4 new washers. 2 are larger than the others.
Thanks, the filter is on it's way....I'll have it by Thursday. The dealer gave me the 4 washers for free; 2 14mm and 2 12mm. You say line crimpers....what are those...similar to hose clamps? Where would I need these?

Old 01-13-2009, 09:31 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
Oh yes, make sure the key is out of the ignition as well, taking a bath in gasoline is never that nice.
Hey its better than mine! A B5 A4 requires dropping down the gas tank a little bit just to get the clamp holding the filter loose, takes me like an hour to change that turd.
Do I need to disconnect the battery as well?

Old 01-13-2009, 11:40 AM
3rd Gear

Line crimpers are basically pinchers to hold the lines while disconnected.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0P?vName=Tools

Our fuel lines are pressurized. So before you replace the filter, take out the fuel pump fuse and start the car. It will run for about 1 second and die. Leave the fuse off. Crimp the lines, and disconnect the hoses. You don't have to crimp the lines, but you will be loosing about a quart of fuel if not crimped.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:05 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
Line crimpers are basically pinchers to hold the lines while disconnected.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0P?vName=Tools

Our fuel lines are pressurized. So before you replace the filter, take out the fuel pump fuse and start the car. It will run for about 1 second and die. Leave the fuse off. Crimp the lines, and disconnect the hoses. You don't have to crimp the lines, but you will be loosing about a quart of fuel if not crimped.
Thanks for that info....

Where is the fuel pump fuse located? Is is on the driver's side lower dash panel?

Old 01-13-2009, 03:21 PM
3rd Gear

Unless the reason is to just hold the lines up (so the eventual fuel remained in the lines would not trickle down), I don't understand why crimpers (pinchers) are needed.
The lines are metallic. If you use the pinchers, then don't they get flattened in that spot?

Last edited by chefro; 01-13-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:52 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
Unless the reason is to just hold the lines up (so the eventual fuel remained in the lines would not trickle down), I don't understand why crimpers (pinchers) are needed.
The lines are metallic. If you use the pinchers, then don't they get flattened in that spot?

Obviously you crimp the rubber portion, not the metal portion. The reason that you crimp the line is to keep the fuel in line, instead of spraying everywhere. Even with the pressure released with the fuse off, there is quite a bit of pressure within the line. You willl see once opened up.

As for the location of the fues, yes there is one on the driverside fuse box.

Quick Reply: How long does it take to change out fuel filter on a 2.8L Quattro?