Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much oil in a 4.2???

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 05:59 AM
1st Gear
Default How much oil in a 4.2???

hey im about to change my oil and have a 2000 a6 4.2
the manual that came with my car is for the 2.8 so it isnt helping me much
i read somewhere that it takes 8 quarts, just wanted to confirm this with someone.
also would it be recommended to use synthetic vs dino even though there is no turbo? i dont know what the previous owner used, he just took it to the dealer so i assume they use synthetic?
thanks for any help!

Old 10-11-2006, 07:55 AM
Default RE: How much oil in a 4.2???

7.6 liters with filter Mobil 1 full synthetic 0W/40, other choices are 0W/30 cold climate - 20W/40 hot climate

Old 10-12-2006, 04:58 AM
1st Gear

ok i got underneath the car and none of my hex wrenches are big enough for the oil drain bolt. just wondering what size hex that is?? thanks dave, thats a lot of oil!

Old 10-12-2006, 11:52 AM
AQ6
1st Gear

CAUTION before you begin the oil change check out the following. As they say in the link and also what a friend experienced you don't want to remove the wrong bolt, you could end up draining the tranny fluid.

Here is a link to an oil change on an All-Road, should be pretty similar. I have the 4.2 also haven't ventured under the car yet, it's still under warranty, I would be interested t o know if it deviates much from the link.

Good luck.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng.html

Old 10-14-2006, 12:57 PM
3rd Gear

The belly pan will need to come off to get the oil drained. You will need a 19mm wrentch for the drain plug. The filter is right next to the drain plug on the front drivers side of the car. Also if the car was always at the dealer they would put in regular oil. Switching would be no big deal and wont hurt anything.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:48 AM
1st Gear

sounds good, i will be going back under the car tomorrow
just curious what fluid is the hex bolt plugging that is located near the front center of the car under the belly pan (if the oil plug is next to the filter)
also what size hex is required to loosen the bolt???
thanks

Old 10-17-2006, 12:01 PM
AQ6
1st Gear

Did you get a chance to look at the link I provided you for the all-road oil change? It provides a step by step explaination, with pictures, it also includes a list of tools you will need.
The reason I prefaced my previous e-mail with CAUTION is the hex bolt in the "front center of the car under the belly pan" should be the bolt to empty the tranny fluid!

The Audi World web site and others have a lot of information you will be needing in future. It's can be helpful to look around those sites to see what information is available even before you need it.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng.html

Old 10-18-2006, 12:04 AM
1st Gear

yeah i checked out the link, except there seem to be quite a few differences since the allroad is a 2.7L engine. the oil filter on the 4.2 is a long sucker, about twice the length of the one pictured in the allroad. also i dont know the legitamacy of this guy, but the parts salesman said the hex plug (center of car under belly pan) was for draining the oil when i was buying the filter. it was pouring rain today so i didnt feel like doing a change in the rain but hopefully tomorrow i can clear things up

also from reading this, http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/179424.phtml it sounds like the 4.2 and s6 are different when it comes to changing the oil than other models

i will for sure be sure to post after it is done, that will be the easiest way to find out

Old 10-18-2006, 12:12 AM
1st Gear

well from reading this, http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/270892.phtml it does sound right that the tranny plug should be hex, on the a8 (4.2) ill let you know when i found out what is going on
thanks for the input AQ6 and dankhound

Old 10-20-2006, 03:49 AM
3rd Gear

The filter is on the passenger side of the engine. Its above the subframe about mid engine. The open side faces the front of the vehicle. On the 4.2 the drain plug is in fact a hex. Its either an 8 or 10mm. The engine oil pan is easily distinguishable from the trans pan because the oil pan has only one plug while the trans pan has two.