Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace rear brake/fog bulbs in 01 A6?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 12:50 PM
1st Gear
Default How to replace rear brake/fog bulbs in 01 A6?

You know the 2 small red lights immediately to the right and left of the license place bay (not the full size brake lights)? How do I get in to replace those? Please help!

Old 02-08-2009, 12:44 AM
3rd Gear

Let me guess... Only one works right? It is normal. Has to do with some DOT regulation.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:21 AM
1st Gear

So does anyone know how to replace the one that doesn't work. Got pulled over for it being out.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:35 AM
3rd Gear

If your talking about the rear fog lamp - my 97 Avant only has one

Old 02-08-2009, 12:31 PM
1st Gear

The drivers side is the only one that is suppose to work. The other one does not even have a bulb holder in it. You can make it work but you have to run a jumper wire from the working one and find a bulb holder. You have to remove the cover inside the liftgate to even get to it.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:24 PM
1st Gear

I see... I mean, I don't understand why they would do that, but I see. Why not have one on each side so it's even? I've been pulled over for it and had several people tell me I had a rear light out. Seems pretty dumb to me that Audi would put a lens in there and no bulb... oh well.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:44 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 6605stang
I see... I mean, I don't understand why they would do that, but I see. Why not have one on each side so it's even? I've been pulled over for it and had several people tell me I had a rear light out. Seems pretty dumb to me that Audi would put a lens in there and no bulb... oh well.
From what I heard the rear fog light is suppose to be on the drivers side of the car. This is for when you have speeding cars approaching you on the autobahn they can tell where you are at in the rain, ect. I've seen on the newer A4's it is built into the taillight and not even noticeable unless turned on.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:30 PM
3rd Gear

Stang - Why is it dumb to follow the requirements of the law?

Audi designed the back of the vehicle to be symetrical and included the one rear fog lamp. NOT dumb -- Smart.

When I see someone driving with the rear fog lamp on when it is clear It reminds me of someone that drives for miles with the directional signal on and I wonder if they are paying attention to anything around them. Reminds me of a Bill Cosby monolog where he says that a perpetual blinker is announcing dumb guy --dumb guy --- dumb guy --- dumb guy! LOL

Old 02-09-2009, 09:12 AM
1st Gear

Listen NH USA, I'm sorry I have insulted to your beloved automaker. I love the car too, but when I get pulled over for a bulb being out and get told by 3 people in the first 30 days of owning the car that, "you have a rear bulb out", I'm simply stating that if the functionality of that missing bulb is what you say it is, they could have maybe gone an extra step of some kind to not make it look like one of the lenses is out. If it's not a symmetrical system, don't make it look symmetrical. One of the other, I say.

Do you berate every person on here that doesn't have the god-like knowledge and intelligence you apparently possess. I guess you would... why wouldn't you. I reminds me of the time I said, anyone who berates a new, not fully in the know, owner of the vehicle you adore, is a dip-s&*t, dip-s&*t, dip-s&*t, dip-s&*t, dip-s&*t...

Old 02-09-2009, 11:09 AM
3rd Gear

Stang... Just drive the car with the rear fog light off. If you want the look of the front fog ling, but not the rear, you just need to pull the switch one click... Not two clicks.

Quick Reply: How to replace rear brake/fog bulbs in 01 A6?