Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to tell if tie rod is going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:37 AM
1st Gear
Question how to tell if tie rod is going bad?

I've got a creaking coming from the pass front suspension that is only noticeable at low speeds (35 or less). It's more noticeable on rougher roads due to the suspension travel. When the motor work was done they checked all the control arms and said everything there looked fine.

tie rods, shock mounts?

Also, I've got a vibration that comes from the same side (front pass) at about 65-75 mph...below 65 it's not noticeable at all and above 75 it goes away as well.

anyone have any ideas where I need to start looking first? I'm thinking today I'm going to rotate the tire and see if that makes any difference at all.

TIA!

Old 05-26-2009, 11:08 AM

Does the sound come if you push down on the car from the outside? Is it more when you start moving? A creak is usually the bottom link in the four link...

Old 05-26-2009, 11:43 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by vta62.7
Does the sound come if you push down on the car from the outside? Is it more when you start moving? A creak is usually the bottom link in the four link...
I can't make it creak by pushing down on the car...only after the car starts moving.

And I noticed earlier that it will do it when the car is sitting still and I turn the steering wheel. It's not the power steering pump, I just replaced a leak in the lines there and the pump is quiet.

Last edited by whitey; 05-26-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:31 AM
1st Gear

ttt

any other ideas...just please don't tell me it's the rack and pinion...

Old 05-27-2009, 09:48 AM
1st Gear

I have both of these same symptoms. I'm not sure creaking is the exact word I'd use for mine, but I can't think of a better one either. I seemed to notice my vibration after adding aftermarket wheels, although I believe they're in good balance and I haven't had time to swap in my originals for comparison. I'm thinking perhaps the increased tire size is magnifying the underlying problem. Do some road surfaces seem to give you more shudder/vibration than others?

Old 05-27-2009, 12:37 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jteesy
Do some road surfaces seem to give you more shudder/vibration than others?
Not that I've noticed. From what I can tell mine all depends on how fast I'm going.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:01 PM
2nd Gear

sounds like outter tie rods fersure
control arms may also be on their way out

Old 05-27-2009, 10:27 PM
1st Gear

My lower control arms make that noise, only noticeable at slow speeds on bumps and only when it's hot out(above 95 or hotter). I'll change them this summer.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:41 PM
3rd Gear

Talk to it....

Jack the car up -and put it on jack stands. Remove the tension from a wheel by putting something under it so the suspension is not hanging on the stops. Get close to the suspect part and say," Are you bad?" When it dosen't answer yell "Are you bad?" Next grab the part, shake it and see if it wiggles. If there is any free play it just told you it was bad.

You just have to know how to talk to these things to get answers!! LOL

PS you can eliminate talking and yelling but that takes all the fun out of it

Old 05-28-2009, 03:09 PM

There is one bolt by the battery holding the rack and pinion it is torx. I think that is lose. I had the same problem. Good luck.