Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Huge electrical issue. Insight please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Default Huge electrical issue. Insight please.

So, I have a music system installed in my car. Recently it stopped working and when I checked on the wiring I noticed that the power capacitor ground came loose. Here's my mistake. I tried to plug it back in with the car running and there was a few sparks. It was the ground not power. soon after my car windows would not go down. then my hazards would stay on after I turned the car off. They wouldnt blink they just stay on steady. I removed the fuse for the hazards and not my car is telling me their are doors ajar when there is no doors open my windows work when they want to work and my dome lights work when they want to. I think I fried the cpu or something. there are no fuses blown I checked all of them. Crazy. I have a audi a6 01 quattro and it was perfect before this problem please help! im in desprite need for help.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:17 AM
2nd Gear

Start by disconnecting the music system. It sounds like you have a floating ground due to your music system ground. Take it out of the equation. Disconnect and reconnect the battery to clear the computers then see what happens.

Bob

Old 02-08-2010, 09:36 AM

Thats the first thing I did. I removed the system to ensure that it wasnt the issue. I tried to reset the cpu by removing battery terminal. My battery is not recieviong a good charge and keeps dying on me. Im replacing the battery today. Issues still remain.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:47 PM
1st Gear

You wasted the diodes (rectifier) in the alternator.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:27 PM
3rd Gear

get the battery checked before you wast your money getting a new one..

You might have firied the Alternator but that would not explain the dome light etc problems... You might have screwed up the immobilizer or the thingy that controls the interior lights -- In any case my crystal ball tells me that your about ready to spend more than a few dollars

Old 02-10-2010, 12:56 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by NH_USA
get the battery checked before you wast your money getting a new one..

You might have firied the Alternator but that would not explain the dome light etc problems... You might have screwed up the immobilizer or the thingy that controls the interior lights -- In any case my crystal ball tells me that your about ready to spend more than a few dollars
x2, I believe he's saying central convenience computer. I believe your dome lights, doors, locks... all tie into that one computer.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:38 AM
3rd Gear

Ya Ya -- that's the thingy -- The central convenience computer -- The damn Audi has so many computers I'm beginning to think it is as complicated as the space shuttle.

Just think - 20 years ago I had a hard time spelling computer and now I have 5 at home, 2 at work and a bunch in my Audi... The only memory that is missing is the one in my brain!

Old 02-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Default Re

I had a guy tell me it was the electrical stuff in the alternator. SO if I buy a new alternator will this solve this issue. or do I need to go to the dealer and get the computer reset. Its funny cause today my windows worked fine and all of a sudden door ajar and windows didnt go down or up any more. then the dome lights where blinking on and off but very dim low light flickering. I just bought a new battery. car turns on no prob.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Site Moderator

You need a vag com more than anyone on the forum. Its not even funny how hard these things can be to diagnose without fault codes.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Site Moderator

You need a vag com more than anyone on the forum. Its not even funny how hard these things can be to diagnose without fault codes.

Quick Reply: Huge electrical issue. Insight please.