Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I feel like blowing my brains out...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:03 PM
2nd Gear
Default I feel like blowing my brains out...

started doing the full control arm replacement, and i think pretty much everything that could go wrong, went wrong. except for, ironically, the one thing ud like id have a problem with, the pinch bolt. came right out. so first, i went to start with the left side, and i couldnt even get the wheel off. must be galvanized on from the salt. kicked it, hit it with a hammer, sprayed it with pb blaster, it just looked at me and called me a bitch. so i went to the right, everything came off smoothly, wheel, axle bolt (even without the wheel on). got the caliper off with a little struggle from the top bolt. pinch bolt came right off. i was amazed. got the uppers off, actually the whole tower. now the hard part. i got the axle out of the hub, then i first went to remove the rear lower. got the ball joint out, and struggle to get the bolt in the back off, but with about 45 minutes of maneuvering and about to torch it off, i got it out. then i went for the front lower. started coming out smooth, then i think my buddy lost grip of the wrench, and half way thru the turn the wrench holding the nut still came loose and kind of stripped the nut. we tried and tried and tried and couldnt get it out. so we left it at that and called it a night.

so, how can i get that bolt out? is there any way i can do this also without removing my tre. i dont want to since i just got it done and dont really want to spend the money on an alignment. is it necessary to get an alignment if i dont remove the tre? any tips or advice u can give me, im all ears. i need to get this done by tomorrow. im only going to do the right side and ill do the left another time. this took me 6 hours so far!!

Last edited by hcaudikeed; 03-22-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:25 AM
2nd Gear

really? nothing?

Old 03-22-2009, 11:04 AM
3rd Gear

The weekends tend to be slow on here so the answers come slowly.

As for tire removal/ alignment-- If your messing with the suspension links it is always a good idea to get an alignment done.

As for removing stripped nuts bolts... There are a few tricks like grinding new flats - heat - PB Blaster - etc. and combinations of all the above...and the ultimate solution -- cutting them off...

Old 03-22-2009, 11:27 AM
2nd Gear

yea i called my cousin in the bronx and hes coming. hes bring his grinder and air tools. i need to have this done by 2. ughhhhh. i now really wish i just paid the $500 and got it done at a shop. would have been the best spent $500 ever.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:11 PM
2nd Gear

At the shop you'll have never the confidence the job is done right.
Doing DIY under time pressure is something I do not like any more.

You have a chance to submit photos?

Old 03-22-2009, 09:43 PM
2nd Gear

couldnt take pics, hands were too dirty. we finished today at 530. the bolt was rusted on, so we ended up cutting it. then of course, something else had to go wrong. we didnt realize that the parts were side specific until we had everything bolted up, and they were rubbing against the suspension. so we had to take everythingggg apart again and put it back together. but we got it done well. no more noise from the right. ill probably tackle the left side and both cv boots next weekend.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:34 PM
2nd Gear

I would give advise, but I have yet to go at this job yet. My control arm kit gets ordered mon morning...

Old 03-23-2009, 12:11 AM
2nd Gear

lol thanks buddy. its ok i got it done. im a pro now lol. if you need any help hit me up. everything that could possibly go wrong, went wrong, and i got out of it. so if u get stuck just hit me up.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:31 AM
3rd Gear

good job.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:33 AM
2nd Gear

thank you sir. my first big job ever on a car. not too bad of a start huh? lol. you live and learn i guess. my last job that was the hardest before this was installing my aftermarket stereo. never did that before either. im a fast learner.

Quick Reply: I feel like blowing my brains out...