Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Identify the Oil Leak

Old 04-08-2012, 11:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Identify the Oil Leak

Today, after changing my oil, I looked up in the engine compartment and found an oil leak. I'm not sure what's leaking, but I snapped a couple of photos. There is a "zoomed in" photo and a "zoomed out" photo for a frame of reference. Can you please help me identify the problem? Thank you!

Also, I've had oil residue on the underside of my oil pan and noise reduction panel for the last 10,000 miles / 3 oil changes (including today). I've always figured it was leaking from the drain plug after finding a washer crushed to oblivion. Or perhaps I didn't tighten it enough (40NM).

Attached Thumbnails Identify the Oil Leak-leak-zoom-.jpg   Identify the Oil Leak-leak-zoom-out.jpg  
Old 04-09-2012, 07:10 AM
1st Gear

Looks like it might be time for new cam chain tensioner seals.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:44 PM
1st Gear

Thank you very much.

Blauparts has a kit for this. Also, they have a page that has an image that shows spot on the same symptons. See Image 1, driver side, Audi Valve Cover Gasket Kit - Audi Cam Tensioner Gasket Replacement - Blauparts.

Couple more questions.
1) Is the Blauparts kit good?
2) What other repairs should be done with this? My car has 54k miles, 2004 2.7T S-Line.

I've been looking at some of the DIYs out there. It's a common problem with lots of input so I may be able to tackle this myself. Although, I'm waiting to hear back from my dealer's service advisor for a quote.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:05 AM
1st Gear

I'm going to bump this in hopes that someone responds while providing additional information for others who may land here.

I've done a bunch of research on this issue and I have a few questions.

1) I've examined the both plastic caps on the cam shafts and while I see a little oil residue, I don't think it's enough to be an issue. Should the caps and corresponding seals be replaced?

2) I have 54,000 miles on my car, 2004. Should I just bite the bullet and do the timing belt service? How much overlap is there? I've found lots on doing each individually, but no combined DIYs that take advantage of overlap. Save a comment here http://forums.audiworld.com/archive/...t-2770953.html which suggests just loosening the camshafts and popping the seals out with your finger.

3) Do I need to open the valve cover to do remaining seals during the timing belt service? From what I can tell with a seal puller, I do not need to open the valve cover.

4) Nagging thought in the back of my head. With 54k miles 2004, is it as simple as doing the cam tensioner seal, half moon, and valve cover gasket, maybe rear gasket too? Then just hold on to the cam seals and caps. When timing belt comes up, I can either use the seal puller or open the valve cover and put them in? (Although, I would think open the Valve Cover could destroy my gasket).

Passenger side is fine, I've checked the valve cover gasket, both cam seals, and hall sender.

Oh, one last thing, I wanted to check my timing belt for cracks. The best I can come up with for inspection is to the remove the air pipe in the front on the passenger side and then as many screws as I can for the timing belt cover.

Thank you!

Old 05-01-2012, 05:31 AM
1st Gear

A few comments:
  • From my experience the BLAUParts kit was of very high quality and the instructions were good enough to get the job done.
  • Replacing the Cam Chain Tensioner Seals requires the removal of the timing belt so you might just as well perform that service while you're in there.
  • Replacing the Cam Chain Tensioner Seals also requires the removal of the cams and the end plugs so they'll get replaced as a matter of course.
  • Make sure your breather system is in good operating condition.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:40 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by shipo
A few comments:
  • Replacing the Cam Chain Tensioner Seals requires the removal of the timing belt so you might just as well perform that service while you're in there.
  • Replacing the Cam Chain Tensioner Seals also requires the removal of the cams and the end plugs so they'll get replaced as a matter of course.
  • Make sure your breather system is in good operating condition.
I thought I could do the Cam Chain Tensioner seal and half moon without removing the timing belt using tool 3366? Obviously, the cam shaft seals require removal of the belt though.

Also, I thought the 2.7T didn't have a breather to worry about? I'll double check though, I just don't recall seeing one.

Thank you, thank you!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:29 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by deem2000
I thought I could do the Cam Chain Tensioner seal and half moon without removing the timing belt using tool 3366?
Nope, not possible; the cams must come out to replace the two components below the tensioner.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:13 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by shipo
Nope, not possible; the cams must come out to replace the two components below the tensioner.
I thought it depended on the year if you could replace the half moon seals without removing the timing belt. I recall you did have to have the cam tension tool in order to remove the half moon seals.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:09 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by copper07
I thought it depended on the year if you could replace the half moon seals without removing the timing belt. I recall you did have to have the cam tension tool in order to remove the half moon seals.
Guys, the timing chain tensioner gasket and the half-moon seal are under the bolted in place timing chain tensioner. Like it or don't, believe it or not, unless you can produce Audi documentation which says otherwise, you MUST remove the tensioner (which also means removing the cams) to get at the gasket and seal.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:56 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the help guys. I ordered the enhanced kit from Blauparts and replaced the value cover only. For the following reasons.

1) When I took it apart I broke the tool (it was late and I wasn't at TDC). For others, before compressing the tensioner make sure you are at TDC by rotating the crankshaft clockwise as you are looking at the front of the car.
2) I found a lose screw on the front of the valve cover, ie no socket needed to remove. I believe this was the cause for the leak.
3) I examined the half moon seal by looking at the opening under the tensioner solenoid. It did not appear to be leaking.
4) I found oil on the back lower half of the timing belt cover. This appears to originate from the valley between the two cams covers. Probably caused by the loose screw.
5) No leaks at the back of the engine for cam sensor seal or cam cap so I didn't not replace these either.

Anyways, time will tell the true cause. I'll let you know if it continues to leak.

Couple of other comments, the parts from Blauparts looked fine and worked for me, but I did find the instructions a bit lacking and suggest an additional resource (ie Bently manual etc). It says perform timing belt removal (no instructions). Does not mention TDC, although that would occur if you removed the timing belt; it assumes the user has that knowledge (or in my case remembered).

Here are some links that definitely helped.

Audi cam tensioner - Part 1
2.7t Valve Cover and Cam Chain Tensioner Seals
How-to: 1.8T Cam Chain Tensioner Gasket replacement
How To: Replace 1.8t cam chain tensioner
Cam Tensioner DIY
Audi A6 Quattro: I am having difficulty maintaining TDC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Identify the Oil Leak