Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Input please

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 05:36 PM
1st Gear
Default Input please

So 2 months ago i bought a 2003 Audi A6 2.7T at 118,000 miles.
I love this car, but they sold it to me with a bad catalytic converter and some vacuum hoses needing replaced.

I plan on keeping the car for 12-18 months and the timing belt needs replaced here in 3-4 months. And all i hear about from my friend who've owned them in the past have told me not to invest heavy money into the car.

So my question is, from you true Audi faithful, is should i take the dive and invest in a new timing belt, catalytic converter, and a few other things?

Or should i just hope it lasts a year or so and trade her in for a newer Audi with less miles?

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

- TJ

Old 03-06-2012, 11:15 PM
1st Gear

Hi Tj. I am just about to do the timing belt on my 97 A6 so I have a good idea on parts costs if you were to have a go yourself.
Cats- $400 inc del both sides (eBay)
Cats- $800 plus del Bosal (rockauto.com)
Gates timing belt kit- $124 inc del (Amazon.com)
Flennor hydraulic tensioner- $45 inc del (eBay)
Timing cam bar and crank lock pin- $85 inc del (eBay)
Thermostat- $10 to $22 plus del ( rockauto.com )
Auto coolant concentrate 1gal- $22 to $27 (Audi VW dealer)
It'll be $2500 to $3000 is more for a shop to do the work. Personally I would, and am just about to do this my self. As well as oil, filters, plugs, transmission oil/filter, deferential fluid, brake fluid... you get the idea.
It's up to you. There are plenty of people on here who have over 200k.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:36 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Brityank
Hi Tj. I am just about to do the timing belt on my 97 A6 so I have a good idea on parts costs if you were to have a go yourself.
Cats- $400 inc del both sides (eBay)
Cats- $800 plus del Bosal (rockauto.com)
Gates timing belt kit- $124 inc del (Amazon.com)
Flennor hydraulic tensioner- $45 inc del (eBay)
Timing cam bar and crank lock pin- $85 inc del (eBay)
Thermostat- $10 to $22 plus del ( rockauto.com )
Auto coolant concentrate 1gal- $22 to $27 (Audi VW dealer)
It'll be $2500 to $3000 is more for a shop to do the work. Personally I would, and am just about to do this my self. As well as oil, filters, plugs, transmission oil/filter, deferential fluid, brake fluid... you get the idea.
It's up to you. There are plenty of people on here who have over 200k.
Agree. With 118k and proper maintainse the car should not leave you stranded. Gut the cats and use spacers to get rid of the cel. Timing belt needs to be done ASAP or you will no longer have a problem deciding whether on keeping it not.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:27 AM
1st Gear

I forgot to add a water pump to the list. My phone cut out like three times when doing the list.
Bosch water pump- $56 inc del (Amazon.com)
Also " auto " coolant should read Audi coolant.

Last edited by Brityank; 03-07-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

Thanks. So i guess i should have mentioned this. When i had my mechanic check out my engine when i first bought the car (Engine light was on) he told me the Timing belt was worn but not worn out. I am giving myself a 3-4 month period to save up but even if its not worn out i should get that taken care of first?
How important is the Catalytic converter to be replaced as well? All I've heard about that is if i don't mind hearing a little rattling once in a while under neath me then its not a huge deal but again this is my first car and want to be 100% on what i decide to do. If thats the case i certainly will be getting that timing belt taken care of here soon.

Again thanks guys, I appreciate all & any help!

Old 03-07-2012, 04:46 PM
1st Gear

The importance of the cat depends on what's wrong with it. If it's loose and rattling around then it's an annoyance but should be ok. If it is choked up then it will be causing high back pressure which isn't good for your engine. Also if your state has immision(?) testing and your o2 sensors are throwing codes because of it then it will fail.
The importance of the timing belt is quite simply that if it goes your engine is dead. There pistons will connect with some of your valves and bend them. You well then have a complete top end rebuild to pay for. The reason why all the other things were on the list is that you can only get at them when the timing belt is off, so it is good sense to change them while you're in there doing the belt. Here's the scenario list.
Timing belt goes = dead valves
Hydraulic tensioner goes = see above.
Water pump goes= over heat, warped heads. More expensive than above but same dead engine.
Thermostat sticks closed= see all above.
Do the timing belt job.

On the plus side, if you are planning on selling the car in the near future then you'll get more for it if you have all the receipts for timing belt and accessory work.

Last edited by Brityank; 03-07-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

My cat converter is completely shattered according to my mechanic.
And i will be getting my timing belt done in that case.
Now should i mention that i want the other items replaced or is that something thats done without say? Im guessing not.
Appreciate the help, thanks.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:56 PM
1st Gear

As mentioned it is better to get them done at the same time, unless you have service records to show they have been done recently. You will have to talk to your mechanic if you want the extra stuff done. Pretty much anyone on the forum will say to get it all done at the same time.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:27 PM
1st Gear

I agree, but unfortunately money will be an issue.
I will have to do the timing belt first, then take care of the other things.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:03 PM
3rd Gear

I just went through the hasstle of replacing my cats with a Billy Boat downpipe kit due to P0421 and P0431 CEs and that did not solve the problem. I went about a month with intermittent CELs for the same problem. Two days ago I installed the rear O2 spacers and am waiting to see if that solves the CEL problem. If I had to do it again, I would not have replaced them and would continue to use my Innova 3130 to reset the CEL. I have 204k miles on the car.

If you live in a state that does not have emissions tests and you do not mind a little louder exhaust noise, I have the test pipes that came with the Billy Boat kit. I don't plan on using them and would part with them for a reasonable price. If you are interested, email me at jjaiven@chartermi.net.

And don't wait. Replace the timing belt and all the related piece-parts immediately. You are living on borrowed time. The manual calls for a change at 105k and conventional wisdom is 75-90k. If it slips, you are out an engine. $1000-1500 for a TB job or $3-6k for a new engine. Your decision.

Quick Reply: Input please