Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Chrome Mirror Caps on 2002 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 02:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Installed Chrome Mirror Caps on 2002 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro

So I ordered these chrome mirror caps off of eBay about 2 weeks ago and finally got around to installing it about 40 mins ago. Very easy item to install if you are someone that knows how to count from 1-20 and then from 20-1. Basically if you take your time and uninstall the cap and then take your time and put it back together in reverse this is a snap. I'm not mechanically inclined nor do I work a lot with my hands. Trust me, if I can do this then Ernie from Sesame Street can do it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160564969009...WNX:IT&vxp=mtr

The item comes with some of the vaguest install directions every printed in the world of installations directions. There are instructions in German (my bro is married to a German but that doesn't help me much as they live in Germany). They also include a card with some English directions but it's apparent the author took ESL class 1 and then delved into writing the instructions. Use the instructions found here for general instructions. Key point to note: there was only 1 screw on both my driver side and passenger side that held the mirror caps to the mirror body assembly. Looking at the instructions on the link below would have you thinking there's 3 on the driver side and 2 on the passenger side. Don't waste your time.

In the instructions they mention a plastic mirror removal tool. Good luck on that because one didn't come in the package that I received. What i used as a substitute though was the plastic spatula you use to put spackle over holes before painting. I bought from home depot about 4 yrs ago and it's been sitting around in the garage waiting for another day to be useful. It didn't take much to disengage the mirror from the mirror assembly with this spatula.

Key thing about this mirror cap though, it is chrome plated. Thought it looks great out of the box, i noticed some of the chrome on the driver side had come off on the inside of the cap. I sent the eBay seller a msg asking for a replacement, so not sure how that's going to go. Just use extreme care when putting the item back on, reconnect your wires and put back in the screw you took out. Test the full movement of mirrors after you've pressed them back in and make sure your mirror folds in and out. I'll update on whether the eBay seller will replace the driver side mirror cap that's missing the piece of chrome plating on the inside of the mirror cap.

audipages A4, A6 and A8 Chrome Mirror Caps

Attached Thumbnails Installed Chrome Mirror Caps on 2002 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro-drivoldmirr.jpg   Installed Chrome Mirror Caps on 2002 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro-drivchrommirr.jpg   Installed Chrome Mirror Caps on 2002 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro-passchromold.jpg   Installed Chrome Mirror Caps on 2002 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro-passchrommirr.jpg  
Old 08-03-2012, 09:10 PM

i see that your wiper arms are different from mine. are they stock or did you add them as a mod?

Old 08-15-2012, 10:43 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by SubaruHyundaiAudi
i see that your wiper arms are different from mine. are they stock or did you add them as a mod?
They are stock.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:17 AM
1st Gear

Those are the OEM Audi Aero wipers. Not sure exactly what option package(s) they were included in but I believe they are more common on v8 and facelift A6s. The Aero wiper arms are a simple bolt-on for C5s that don't have them but the wiper blades are usually not carried in local auto parts stores. You can find them online and at the Audi dealer.