Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument Cluster Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Instrument Cluster Help Needed

Hello All,

I purchased an Instrument Cluster from EBay, but I have some questions, I have completed an extensive search of the forum and have even tried looking through the cluster comparissons post.

I have the following questions, my car beeps and the cluster keeps telling me I need to change my oil as well as other errors on the cluster, I see the yellow picture of the car with the lock on it too, which I know is for Clusters with the immobilizer, my car is an Audi 2000 A6 2.7T and I was just wondering if the issues I have can possibly be fixed with the Vag Com unit.

If anyone in the bay area has one, I would be willing to drive to them and pay them to help me fix this error as the car keeps beeping at me, and is kinda driving me crazy I replaced the cluster as my original cluster had dead pixels on the center screen. This one is in perfect condition except for the beeping and errors, also the milage is about 5K off. I wanted to mention I tried the trick where you leave the key in the ignition turn it one click on and leave for 25mins to sync, I also tried this in the on position and left for 25mins, It still will not sync.

Any Assistance you can provide or if you are able to point me in the right direction, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all so much in advance!

- Mac

Old 02-13-2011, 01:15 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mchoudhry2k
I purchased an Instrument Cluster from EBay, but I have some questions, I have completed an extensive search of the forum and have even tried looking through the cluster comparissons post.
----------------------------------------------------------------
I replaced the cluster as my original cluster had dead pixels on the center screen.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Any Assistance you can provide or if you are able to point me in the right direction, would be greatly appreciated.
Not much of an "assistance" per se, but here it comes:
I guess your research wasn't that extensive; you missed the part with people sending their cluster to places like ModuleMaster.com.
Be aware of legal implications with your new cluster that's off 5k miles, unless your title states "mileage not required". I don't think someone would help you unless you have straighten things out with the DMV, but you never know...

Old 02-13-2011, 09:03 PM
1st Gear

Well my mileage was 92k the new cluster reads 97k, I heard that the clusters receive their information from the car, that is why I stated above that : "you leave the key in the ignition turn it one click on and leave for 25mins to sync, I also tried this in the on position and left for 25mins, It still will not sync." I went to the Audi dealership service department and they told me that the instrument cluster, once sync'd with the car will automatically update to the car mileage, which it is not doing and it could be that the cluster that I purchased is newer than my car's cluster...

I'm not trying to do anything illegal here I just want my car to sync up with the instrument cluster. I have the original and I can put that back in still.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:37 PM
3rd Gear

I neither did infere you're doing or wanted to do something illegal, nor wanted to come across as a *****.
Just wanted to give you some heads up about ModuleMaster.com - since you obviously missed it in your search, and also about the legal ramifications of replacing the cluster with one that doesn't want to sync.
Some cars burn the mileage only in the cluster. Some others store it also in the ECM.
You'd assume that on these cars that have the electronics so closely intertwined a reprogramming would be required on a new cluster... Even though I don't know much about how it is done, I feel the dealer gave you a little run around since you haven't changed the cluster there.
Good luck, nevertheless.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:48 AM
1st Gear

Yep I completely understand that, and I used your advice, I also emailed them to see if there was anything they could do to help me.

Seriously thank you for that. I hope they can be of assistance.

- Mac.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:46 AM
1st Gear
Smile

Chefro> if by chance you would have understood mc's post you would have understood he was not trying to hid anything just simply trying to get his cluster to sync up. Not trying to defraud anyone.
But you jump to reprimand him and tell him he was oh so wrong for what he had done. Simply trying to fix his car.
All you did was judge him and tell him he obviously didn't do his research. If you had done some research you would know that if his cluster will sync up it will read what is on the ECM. Correct mileage included.
Huh. Wonder if he had malice intended when all he wanted to do was fix his car.
Open mouth insert foot!

Old 10-08-2012, 12:25 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by notordinary
Chefro> if by chance you would have understood mc's post you would have understood he was not trying to hid anything just simply trying to get his cluster to sync up. Not trying to defraud anyone.
But you jump to reprimand him and tell him he was oh so wrong for what he had done. Simply trying to fix his car.
All you did was judge him and tell him he obviously didn't do his research. If you had done some research you would know that if his cluster will sync up it will read what is on the ECM. Correct mileage included.
Huh. Wonder if he had malice intended when all he wanted to do was fix his car.
Open mouth insert foot!
Thank you for having my back. I actually did get it sync'd up in the end. And a gracious tech at an Audi dealership did it for me. Just goes to show you that some people will assist and be helpful while others will just find a way to be well... Enough said. As I stated a while back. I wasn't trying to do anything illegal I also did not blindly purchase the console. I did all my research and purchased based on said research even from here on the forums as well as from the dealers.

I now no longer own my Audi. I went with another manufacturer that has suited me well. The people that are now helping me with modifications on the other forums are most helpful. As some of you are here. I have been to a wide areay of meets in NorCal and have also built up a great respect with vendors, Sonic MS, Silicon Valley Concepts, JGMods etc. It just became too much drama for me. It's basically like this. If you want to help someone, then feel free to. Most will genuinely be greatful as I was of quite a few people here. But I also saw hate towards others. Not so much myself. Although I did get a few people. But I noticed in other people's posts that some people are just mean, aren't humble or act like they are Audi engineers so they put down anyone who has less experience.

Which is not what these forums are about. They are about sharing knowledge about respecting each other, about being genuinely happy for someone and their ride.

Sadly one of the reasons why I chose to leave was because these values seemed to be lost in many people on here.

I wish all of you the most respect. I miss Audi. But am very happy with the decisions I made.

Thank you all for the assistance and great nature most of you had.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:02 PM
1st Gear

what year can you sync clusters up? I have a 95 & i just got a new cluster with 220xxx! My car has 134xx. I would love to do this. Is it possible?

Old 10-11-2012, 10:36 AM
1st Gear

Sorry unfortunately I have no idea. I had mine done by a tech at the Audi dealership who was helpful enough to give it a shot. (At no cost I may add) which was pretty cool of him.
Not sure about earlier years. I also do not own my Audi anymore but thought I would at least reply to let you know that I'm not sure. I would try calling authorized Audi repair shops. I know there were some here in the Bay Area that would probably be able to do it. It just depends on how much cash you want to throw at the solution. which is often the case.

Thanks. And Good Luck!

Last edited by mchoudhry2k; 10-11-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:28 AM
1st Gear

I don't like posting other problems on someone's post, but I was wondering if anyone knows why my gear display and ambient temp display is a blank?, it's the non lcd display for a 98 audi a4...any help would be great. It seems like nobody knows anything about this

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Help Needed