Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jury of my peers... '04 2.7T or '05 3.2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:48 PM
4th Gear

I know comparing a Pacifica to an A6 Avant is like comparing a miata to a porche, but as a whole, she wants a sedan now. What mama wants, mama gets... you know how it is...

Old 06-09-2010, 09:52 PM
1st Gear

if your not modding go for the 3.2 Interior is super nice!!

Old 06-10-2010, 10:56 AM

In terms of safety, the C6 A6 has been a top pick with excellent side and frontal, while the C5 was only acceptable.

And also, my friend has a 2.7T and I have a 3.2 and while we both drive ours about the same, I average at least a couple mpg better fuel economy. Another advantage of FSI with high compression coupled to a 6 speed vs the 2.7's 5.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:57 PM
4th Gear

Michaelh305- from looking some pics online, I can see the interior on the '05 is a huge step forward, more modern I guess you could say.

dasautoa6- I was not aware that the C6 had better crash ratings than the C5, that's something to consider. From my research, I've learned that the FSI is very fuel efficient and averages about 10MPG more than the Pacifica the wife drives now.

It pretty much boils down to the fact the the new advancements in technology on the '05 make it a better overall vehicle, so the question really comes down to is it worth the extra few thousand dollars for the '05?

Again, thanks for all the imput. You guys have been more than helpful!

Old 06-10-2010, 03:56 PM
3rd Gear

yep listen to Auditech79 he knows what he's talking about...

as for Avant vs sedan -- I've had three Audi sedans and am now driving an Avant. I can easily say that when it is time for the next Audi I'm only going to look for an Avant. Mine has the rear-rear seat that is fun for the kids when up and makes a good place to hide small packages when it is down. When the center seat is folded down there is tons of room for big stuff and when up the ski condom allows long things to be in the back.

Also ya gotta love the rear windshield wiper and washer. Mine lost the deflector cap thus it shoots a strong stream of washer fluid straight out the back. It works wonders at getting people that tailgate to back off. Just today a guy was so close (80 MPH on rt 495) that I couldn't see his headlights. Just a simple rear wiper action and he immediatly backed off. This was soon followed by his passing and giving me a friendly one finger salute. Wait until he realizes I had "Rainex" fluid in the window cleaner bottle. I guess it's better than motor oil. LOL

Old 06-10-2010, 05:59 PM
4th Gear

495 around Boston? That has got to be my favorite stretch of road in the entire U.S. I've ever driven. Where else can you drive 15 over the speed limit in bumper to bumper traffic with sh!tty weather, on broken pavement and concrete!?!

Thanks for the story, by the way, I got a good laugh out of that!

Old 06-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Site Moderator

ROFL! I love avants, but sedans are my car of choice. I almost forgot about the FSI advantages. Let me break it down into a list so its easier to make a decision.

1. The FSI engine is built like a diesel, meaning the fuel injector directly fires fuel into the combustion chamber. Its right next to the spark plug, VS a standard fuel injected engine which sprays it on the back of the intake valve, which is less efficient and causes carbon build up. This enables the engine management to run the engine a lot leaner than the standard 14:1 ratio, its now about 17:1. Using less fuel of course results in better fuel economy.

2. The 3.2L has less moving parts than the 2.7T, no turbos to break, less oil lines, less coolant lines, less vacuum lines, and much less to fix overall.

3. The C5 has way more saftey features, more air bags, better response in the air bag department, more of them, exterior rigidity is improved etc.

4. You can't beat the interior, you really have to see/experience the difference for yourself.

5. The ride difference is like night and day, if you thought the C5 handled well, drive a C6 and prepare for you mouth to drop.

6. NO timing belt!

7. Very little maintenance, besides oil changes and the occasional electrical glitch.

Cons:

1. More gadgets to have glitches, which will require more dealer visits because no one knows what they're doing in indy shops.

2. Much harder to work on than the C5, if something DOES go wrong, the labor to dismantle this car will cost much more.

3. Really have nothing else bad to say about it besides you can't mod it.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:52 PM
4th Gear

I think I pretty much have my mind set on the '05, or even an '06 if the price is right. I sent my wife some pics of both, interior and exterior, and her reaction was a little less than enthusiastic. She wants something "cuter" (WTF??). The problem with Kansas is that there are no used Audi's near where I live, so I can't just take her to a dealership when I get home for a look over and test drive (I know it will convince her) without driving at least 2 hours to KC.

I'll figure something out, but shortly after I get home, my sig will change to 99.5 A4 1.8TQM and '05 A6 3.2 FSI. I'm excited...

Old 06-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Site Moderator

Something "cuter" huh? Gee i wonder why Mercedes and BMW has done so well in california these past 20 years?............ Maybe when you can get an 08+ model with the flashy little LED's in the headlights she'll go for it LOL.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:39 PM
4th Gear

Before I deployed I saw a new S4 on base (what Soldier can afford that) with the LED's lit up. It caught her eye, that's for sure. Of course, I can only afford an '05 or '06 right now, maybe a few years from now I'll be able to "upgrade."

I know I'll just need to get her in one for a test drive and she'll be sold. I was on the phone with here yesterday and she told me she saw a TT out and about. She said, "Thanks to you, all the Audi's stand out to me now. I can't miss them." She love the look of the Rings, but for some reason the pics of the A6 just didn't win her over...

Maybe I'll have to settle for a 5 series xi. (She's spoiled with the AWD thing ever since she started driving the Pacifica, which is also AWD).