Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought an Audi A6 love the Car but,

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:02 AM
1st Gear
Default Just bought an Audi A6 love the Car but,

I was foolish because I bought the car without getting it to a mechanic for an inspection first...

I have been lurking here for about 3 weeks. I bought a 2004Audi A6 S Line 2.7t with 55K miles on it last week. I thought this would be a perfect car for me because I now have a family but still like driving cars that can perform (I had a 99 Corvette, 87 Corvette, 68 Mustang as my previous cars). The car seemed to run fine except a vibration in the front when braking down from freeway speeds

After my purchase I came to my senses and took the car into a mechanic for an inspection. Because I have monitoring these forums I know that an Audi with 55K miles might need timing belt. Plus the vibrations led me to believe there was an issue withfront brakes or suspension... so I was prepared to spend about 2K getting my new ride tip top...

The Bad news here
The shop (nameless for the time being) quoted me over the phone on Friday $4,750...Here is the break down (I will get a full list with prices Monday)

Camshaft Gaskets Front and Rear are leaking oil
Timing belt Water pump change recommended (along with other items)
Wheel bearing job?

This amount is much more costly than expected so I need to consider all my options...I need some help. Opinions are welcome...Here are some questions/scenarios
1. Get a second opinion. The price seems way high here. Perhaps I am getting ripped off... Can someone recommend a shop in the California East Bay Area (I am in San Ramon)?
2. What are California Lemon laws? I bought the Car AS ISfrom a small dealer that re sells luxory cars from auction.
3. I like the car and would keep it if I had piece of mind but I think 5K is too much to pay for it
4. Should I consider getting some sort of extended warranty to help with these costs?
5. Should I consider getting rid of this car before it becomes a money pit? The car is driveable now I could trade in for another vehicle...

Any ideas or Suggestions

Old 04-13-2008, 05:23 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Just bought an Audi A6 love the Car but,

Dump the car, it was obviously abused in its prior life and it is likely to be a money pit. You can have an Audio dealer run the VIN and tell you the cars maintenance history and if all the TSBs have been performed. In the futurestay away from cars that were ever sold at auction, they tend to have a checkered history. Also always have a used car checked out by an independent mechanic before buying it.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:25 AM
1st Gear

Second opinion might help but you should dump the car. Who knows what else is wrong with it? Good luck

Old 04-13-2008, 09:46 AM
1st Gear

Did it have any service records when you bought it?

Old 04-13-2008, 11:07 AM
1st Gear

I would get a second opinion, ecspecially if your have no prior knowledge of the shop you've taken it to.
Hopefully someone can recomend a shop in your area.
Leaking cam seals? is the oil pouring out? ar just a little film of oil?
Shimmy upon braking sounds like warped rotors.
I dont believe bad wheel bearings " CV joints " will give you this sympton.
It sound to me like they are tryng to rip you off.
I do not understand why people would so offhandidly tell you to dump the car, that is just plain ridiculous!
How is this car "obviously abused" BENG

Old 04-13-2008, 11:13 AM
1st Gear

Sometimes a dealer lets you return the car within first week of purchase (doubtful in this case)...I think thats what you mean by dump it. I would never buy a car that doesnt have any kind of warranty...just in case you run into this kind of issue...I think if he ends up spending additional $5k week after he bought the car then I'll be really pissed and the cost of purchase just went up for him.

Assuming...down the road if he wants to sell the car after 2-3 years, he is going to lose money on it.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:51 AM

Shimmy in the brakes is no big deal. If you're worried (warped rotors) then simply replace them. Parts are around $300. Wheel bearings will be obvious when they go out. Lots of noise from the offending bearing. They can be expensive but it is very unlikely that all four went at once.

The timing belt is necessary around 75k. While they (or you) are in there replace the water pump, thermostat, crank seal, serp belt, timing belt idlers. This kit has everything including those camshaft seals.

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail....od=GH21113%2DA

For a replacement belt and brakes I would certainly not dump the car. You should definetely get another mechanic to take a look. I rational mechanic would NOT recomment all wheel bearings like that. If they do that, who knows what else they might try to get by you.

And you asked about the suspension as well. You can tell when you'll need to replace those parts once you hear groaning when you turn.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:24 PM
1st Gear

Yes, I am thinking the 2nd opinion route is best...Can anyone reccomend an AudiService Shop in San Ramon or East bay area?

TO clarify things a bit here are some additional details
Leaking CAM Seals...The mechanic said there was quite a bit of oil but I have not seen any dripping outside or smelled burning oil in the week I had been driving it. I am not really sure where I would look to tell if it is just a thin film....But the mechanic said that all cars this type have this problem to a varying degreee. I think he is charging 2K to fix this issue front and rear...(I have not seen the actual write up yet)
I think you are right about the CV Joints in fact I think he mentioned this...Then he said that it could also be the wheel bearing on the driver front side...He is charging $500 for the brake job plus additional 400 if there is a wheel bearing problem
The mechanic said that they do many things along with the timing belt (water pump, etc etc) I think he is charging $1500 for this...

I am not sure I am comfortable doing all this work (myself...I would consider it if I had some experienced help). I was thinking I would get to know this car by doing small things like Throttle Body Boot etc etc

The mechanic said that apart from these issues the car is in very good shape and he feels that these repairs would make the car reliable to over 100K miles.

My basic decision boils down to losing the Sales tax money (around $1600)+ loss on sale (not sure about this one but I do owe less that KBB Good Condition) now and paying the Sales tax money on another vehicle...Or fixing this vehicle for $4,000 to $4,500...Obivously there are no guaranties either way...But I would be much happier if I could spend about 60% and get the car fixed

And I did not get service records...How does one go about obtaining Service Records from Audi? Is there a charge?

Opinions Please

Old 04-13-2008, 05:16 PM
1st Gear

As far as service records:

If it was serviced at an Audi dealer they should have stamped the maintenance log in your glove compartment. If it wasnt serviced by Audi then its a matter of the previous owner keeping the paperwork for all services and giving them to the dealer when they traded it in.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:19 PM
1st Gear

If you can do your own work you can save a ton of money.
I do my own work, it's the only way I can afford to drive these cars.
Gives me pleasure, working on a Quality built machine.
Beng

Quick Reply: Just bought an Audi A6 love the Car but,