Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just chipped my '01 2.7T(auto)

Old 12-17-2006, 12:25 AM
1st Gear
Default Just chipped my '01 2.7T(auto)

Went to APR dealer in Philly this morning. When he hooked up the computer, it said that my ECU didn't support dual programs. I did want the stock and the 93 octane program, so I was slightly disappointed. During the middle of the flash, his laptop lost power due to his power cord being unplugged. This made me nervous. He told me not to worry and started the process all over. After the flash was complete, he cleared all codes andunhooked his laptop. When we jumped in the car, it was in "limp mode". All the gears were lit up in the display. My nervousness grew even stronger. He told me this was normal since he just got done flashing. He restarted my car and my display went back to normal. We then went on a little test run and all of my nervousness was replaced with pure joy. Due to the fact that he squeezed me in at the last moment, we didn't have a chance to dyno it. However, there is a clear difference between stock and what I am at now. When I was stock and I would jump on it, the acceleration would make me say to myself , "man this is quick". Now I simply say out loud, "holy cow" as I am being pushed into my seat.I didn't do any other upgrades and will probably get the APR bi-pipe next month. I love my A6.

Old 12-17-2006, 01:03 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Just chipped my '01 2.7T(auto)

thats awsome, real happy for you

how much did this cost you though?

and also little offtopic question. Which is faster the 2.7T or the 2.8? Both being stock..

Old 12-17-2006, 01:50 AM
1st Gear

It cost me $640 with tax. (APR is still having Christmas special ---$599 for two program flash).

My wife has the 2.8 (190hp) in an A4 which is smaller and lighter than my 2.7T(250hp) A6. Her A4 is much slower than my A6. It looks like the 2.8 in the A6 is rated at 200hp. The 2.8 A6 should be slightly slower than the A4 due to weight. Keep in mind this is all stock. Once you factor in a chip, the difference increases as the 2.7T hp gain far exceeds the 2.8.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

suggestion: institute an admission exam to audiforums.com, first question will be "describe the difference between 2.7T and 2.8...

since we're ranting, I do wish they made a new shape A4 with a biturbo 6...

Old 12-17-2006, 08:50 PM
3rd Gear

Good luck and enjoy it. I installed a GIAC chip (with Bailey Diverters and a Samco TBB) in September in my 2003 2.7T MT6and notice a big difference when I accelerate over 3500 rpm. Since I normally drive pretty conservatively - and shift under 2k - there is not a difference in normal driving. But when I want to merge or pass, it feels like a jet taking off compared to stock. Ditto on the push into the seatback. They claim the GIAC makes 320hp so let us know what yours makes on the dyno.

BTW, I haven't noticed any change in gas mileage before or after chippingas long as I drive it conservatively.

PS - I finally had the opportunity to open it up this weekend and touched 147 before I ran out of safe road. I think it might have had a little more left, but that was fast enough for me. I came up behind a guy doing 80 awfully quickly and around here that speed gets you tossed in jail in addition to the ticket. So the chip definitely removed the electronic governor (which limited me to 133) as advertised.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:14 PM
1st Gear

I think the GIAC chip is supposed to be more aggressive. I chose APR because of the ability to switch programs easily but don't have an ECU that supports it. The guy who did my flash said that he could try it but didn't feel safe about it. The gas mileage should be better under normal conditions.I try to drive "normal" most of the time, but before you know it the speed is already at 80. So far the only downside I see is the "gear hunting" when I accelerate hard.The car seems to pause for a split second and then jerks like it just got in gear. I don't have this problem in tip mode. BTW- APR claims 318hp for the 93 octane program.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:02 PM
2nd Gear

im thinking of the revo chip cuz you can stage it

Old 12-17-2006, 11:13 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: votblindub

im thinking of the revo chip cuz you can stage it
Revo, GIAC, and APR are all within approx same distance for me. The two factors that made me pick APR was the ability to switch programs via cruise control and the sale price of getting two programs for the price of one. It is ironic that after all was said and done, I didn't get to take advantage of either. I would choose whichever is local to you.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:24 AM
1st Gear

plane audi,

I dont know if this helps now but I would go back and complane. I have the 5 program flash in my car from GIAC and so dose a local 01 A6 guy both of us are tips. If it helps I had the free tryal APR for a while. I would suggest going back asking for a refund and getting what you wanted. Plus GIAC has the tip chip witch I highly recomend. In the end my friend had a APR and switch as well due to the fact that the APR dose not like when you do changes to the car performance wise. The GIAC will let your car adapt to the new parts better from what I understand. The finial straw for me was power and longjevity of the chip when I upgrade to ko4's I will not need another chip

Old 12-21-2006, 04:05 PM
1st Gear

The APR dealer gave me the option of not doing the flash when the laptop only showed support for one program. We talked for a while and he's pretty cool. Offered to give me a few times to come back for factory flash for dealer visits. I do admit, that I may try to have him try to do the dual flash when he gets back. However, I am so pleased with my Audi right now that it is hard for me to get out of it. I took my brother for a ride the other day and came upon a stretch and wanted him to feel the power of a chipped A6. After I jumped on it, he was highly impressed. He asked me how I liked my gas mileage since I went from a V6 in my old car to a V8 in my new luxary car. Priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just chipped my '01 2.7T(auto)