Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got back from the stealership...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 07:41 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Just got back from the stealership...

Well, I just had her in today to have her checked out due to some very LOUD clanking coming from the front end. It was happening when I would first beginning to accelerate (1st-2nd gear), Braking (20mph or less), and turning the wheel sharply as if parallel parking. I was afraid it was my motor mounts and that was causing the clank. Well, after spending 3 hours at the stealership, getting my new drilled/slotted rotors and Akebono Ceramic pads put on (YES I KNOW, I would have done them myself but just don't have the time right now with work & all) ( and YES, I got raped lol They came out to me to discuss the "clanking."

He tells me that my motor mounts are perfectly fine (Halla-Looya) however, which is always the catch phrase, I have the following things wrong:

(and I quote their write-up):
"FOUND FOUR SOURCES OF NOSIE. RIGHT FRONT LOWER CURVED CONTROL ARM BOLT WAS LOOSE, FOUND WRONG NUT ON & WAS STRIPPED. REPLACED NUT & RETHREADED BOLT. ALSO FOUND LEFT FRONT UPPER CONTROL ARM BALL JOINT LOOSE ($278.10 LABOR, $300 PARTS). LEFT FRONT TIE ROD END BALL JOINT LOOSE ($99 LABOR, $200 PARTS). VEHICLE WOULD NEED FOUR-WHEEL ALIGNMENT AFTER REPAIRS ($99.95) CUSTOMER DECLINED SUSPENSION REPAIRS. ALSO, FOUND ON INSPECTION, RIGHT REAR AXLE SEAL LEAKING ($180 LABOR, $100 PARTS) AND WRONG BATTERY INSTALLED IN CAR ($45 LABOR, $120 PARTS). CUSTOMER DECLINED ADDITIONAL WORK." End quote.

Ok guys, here's my questions:

1st Problem: Wrong nut/stripped bolt - uhm...YEA. My controls arms have only been replaced BY Audi - way to go guys! Make me pay $22.50 for them to replace it! B.S.

2nd: left front upper control arm ball joint loose: I looked through my records & on May 01, 2009 I had my LEFT FRONT UPPER FRONT STRAIGHT C/A replaced. Is this the same one they are referring to by left front upper C/A? I know there is a straight & curved one but they didn't specify. I didn't have my records with me today & forgot to ask which one. Do you think they will cover it under the 1 yr 12k mile warranty all new parts have? Also, $300 for PARTS?! Blow me...ECS has the straight one for $60! Just need to know which one I need.

3rd: Left Front Tie Rod End Ball Joint: $200 parts/$99 Labor - Uhm yea...that's why I am ordering a PAIR (L&R) of Meyle Heavy Duty Tie Rod Ends from ECS for $84 + Free ship!
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C5_A6-...205098/ES2815/
Will those fix that problem? )

4th: $100 for an alignment!? No thank you! I have unlimited plan free @ Pep boys - that problem's solved lol

5th: Right rear axle seal leaking: $180 labor/$100 part: Well, is this what I need? Because the damn thing is like $40! Not >$100.
http://www.importautoparts.com/feed/..._quattro/2001/
and which one? That first one that says for rear differential? Never had to replace an axle seal before...help?

Lastly, you want to charge me $45 labor & $120 for a new battery!? This battery was put in by the last owner over a year ago (since I've owned the car) and have NEVER had an issue. They said that it is not "Audi" Specified and is the wrong size. Well guess what a$$holes, my car still starts perfect!! )

What are your guys' opinions? Please share! I REFUSE to pay over $1100 for parts/labor for these minor, yet important things!

Old 09-18-2009, 12:10 PM
3rd Gear

You answered all your own questions. Now you know why many of us do our own work or go to an indy

Old 09-18-2009, 01:13 PM

Plus not all Audi shops are created equal..will they do a walk-around with you and point out the issues and if not..why and that *insurance excuse doesn't cut it, I wouldn't trust them otherwise. The Service Manager runs that dept..not the guy at the desk or the tech in the back, talk to him if your having an issue...smart Audi shops have learned not to **** off customers since they'd like to keep them. In my area, Audi hourly labor is close to all the other shops.. other shops in town will screw you just as bad if not allot worse then Audi. Get estimates on jobs not covered by the warranty and ask if you can shop around for parts to save money and always take your previous paperwork they have done for you..like that stripped nut, sounds like they did that.

Question..does the pep boys do AWD quattro Audi alignments and are they certified or will some high-school kid do the job...just curious. I had my boat in for repair and that's exactly who was working on my engine..the certified mechanic was out driving his corvette shopping with his wife and I was paying $90 an hour for a training program

Old 09-18-2009, 01:58 PM

A1a:
Are you a wrench, if so..do you have the Bentley Repair manual? $1100 to get your car done correctly seems like allot but today it's not..not for a car of this complexion but keeping your car in shape yourself might be the answer..allot of people here do their own work and I'm sure they all own the manual since it's a must have then get some jack stands and a full set of metric tools, the VAG-COM software and your set...some things you'll have to have done at Audi but most you'll be able to do yourself if your what I call a *wrench..I'm not, I'm great at taking things apart but then find out I'm on the wrong end or side of the car.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:01 PM
4th Gear

WRONG BATTERY INSTALLED IN CAR
LMAO!! Thats classic...

Old 09-18-2009, 07:50 PM
1st Gear

There is a reason for the "wrong battery" thingie.

The battery is installed in what is considered part of the passenger compartment. There are safety reasons for requiring a vent with a drain for any battery "in the passenger compartment." -- With an "open" vent, any fumes "could" get sucked into the AC system and have the people inside sucking acid fumes!

Even knowing this, I have an Optima Gel Cell. (Which has an open vent.)

Old 09-18-2009, 08:07 PM
4th Gear

^^, but my Audi batt is vented, and not to the outside...

Old 09-19-2009, 01:07 AM
1st Gear

They're not actually acid fumes. They're hydrogen gas. Combustible gas. The stuff that will blow the top off a battery if a spark gets near the vents on a charging battery.

Audi batteries that are under the seat (they were not ALL under the seat) CAN produce enough hydrogen gas to make a small explosion, a "POP!"

They also have a standoff to keep the seat springs from contacting the positive terminal.

Cheers,

George

Old 09-19-2009, 06:37 PM

..not only very helpful but I don't think the manual tells us why this is done...for safety. Thanks for the heads up GMATOV

Last edited by mystrodo; 09-19-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:10 AM
3rd Gear

Pep Boys or any auto repair chain is a crap shoot with the vehicle owner being on the short end of the odds. By Indy I mean an honest, independant guy that runs his own shop and understands Audis. They are hard to find but they do exist. When you find one treat him like a valued friend because that is what he is.

Quick Reply: Just got back from the stealership...