Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my 1998 A6 2.8 Q, a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 06:53 PM
mig
1st Gear
Default Just got my 1998 A6 2.8 Q, a few questions

First, I've got to say this car is soo smooth, I don't want to get out of it

Now on to the questions, since I bought it at an auto auction, there were some things missing (like the user's manual)/not working, here are a list:

1) My rotors were oxidated so the ABS was kicking in anytime i was braking smoothly (coming to a stop w/out slamming the brakes), also there seems to be some minor shaking that i can feel under the car, I am told this is also probably coming from the rotors (touching on the wheels) it is a sort of screeching sound (i can only describe it if you've seen submarine movies when the pressure is almost caving in the submarine haul and you hear that pressure going through the metal). Do any of you think this screech can be from the rotors, I'm currently looking into getting some Brembos and then I'll definetly know, but still it would help my budget if it sounds like something else, that way I know that I should expect something else after I take care of the rotors. <-- after i get my brembo's i'll update.

2) There is a button with a little 'tower' (and a led), its above the trunk door on the drivers side door. The led (which is red) comes on when the door is open, but not when the door is closed, I'm just curious as to what it does. <-- so i take it the motion sensors are on whenever the light is on.

3) I put some fuel injector fluid before I gassed the car up (from BP) and about 2hours later the check engine light came on, when I took it back to the technician he said the machine reported something with air being too rich in the system. And he blamed the fuel injector fluid, should I be worried that he was BS'n me? The check engine light hasn't come back on yet though. <-- if i can find an audi mechanic to verify this, but like I said the check engine light hasn't come back yet, so I guess I'll have to wait for that, to see if it does come back.

4) Shortly after I left the dealer with the engine light off, I now get an 'MPH' warning sometimes when I accelerate, what is this warning for/about? I have noticed it come on with i accelerate from 5MPH, or from 20MPH or even from 40MPH, and it beeps, which is how i noticed it in the first place. There is also a '1' in the top left of the 'MPH' image on the dash LED. <-- There must be another way to control it as opposed to the windshield toggle, or maybe I did something wrong, I'll have to try this again.

5) The last thing that I still haven't figured out is, when I have my AC on it fogs up my windshield, is there a way to turn off the AC that is on top of the dash so that I don't fog it up (or a way to control it so that I can have my AC on without that being fogged up). I know its outside because if I pass the windshield wipers it takes the 'fog' away (relate it to when you have glasses and you come out of an AC, your glasses fog up). <-- I'll give it a try (make sure the top vents are not turned on).

6) This would be the easiest one, I still haven't found how to dispense the windshield washer fluid on the windshield, do I have to turn the know a certain way? <-- solved.

[edit]
7) I just remembered, another issue was the window lock button on the driver's door, it doesn't toggle on/off, it is stuck at the 'on' position, so unless i manually hold it down nobody in the back seats can lower their windows, I am guessing this isn't an expensive part, does anybody know what it's called and how much it costs? Is it something I can replace myself? <-- after snooping around a little more, i found that the master switch is a complete panel, so i need to purchase a whole new master switch and have it installed.
[/edit]

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-16-2005, 07:48 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Just got my 1998 A6 2.8 Q, a few questions

u can get a manual at rothautobooks.com

i got the complete one 4 my 96a6 q wag.

like $25. paid with paypal

as far as break components tirerack.com has a good selection of rotors/pads
they sell brembo & powerslot

getting the manual will prob answ most of the questions.

the washer fluid is a pull towards you on one of the stalks

Old 09-16-2005, 07:53 PM
mig
1st Gear

I'll check out that site for the manual. As for the pull forward, that makes the wipers go across the windshield twice, but no washer fluid comes out (there is washer fluid inside the hood though).

[edit] I requested the manual from the site, as they didn't have any Audi manuals listed on their site. [/edit]

Old 09-16-2005, 07:57 PM
1st Gear

? 2 i believe is your interior motion sensors
?4 is your speed manager, on my 2000 a6, if you turn the car off, let the screen die down, push in the left *** of your speedometer and hold it, a speed should come on, use your windshield wiper toggle to move up the speed, mines at 110, let go of the button and the screen will die down, remember, thats on my 00 a6 sedan, i dont know about your car

Old 09-16-2005, 07:59 PM
mig
1st Gear

What is the purpose for the sensors?

I did a google search, haven't found anything definitive yet.. I'll keep on looking until I find out what they do

Old 09-16-2005, 10:21 PM
2nd Gear

mig, where in ny r u.

i'm in si, ny and work in lower manhattan

abacab is also in nyc.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:30 PM
2nd Gear

mig, my 96a6 wagon manual says to pull and hold the wiper stalk towards you.
the ignition must be on for it to work.

the card i have from roth auto books

his email is rothauto@att.net

he is in ft.wayne, indiana

Old 09-16-2005, 11:50 PM
2nd Gear

The sensors are so when you lock the car, if there is any motion inside the car it will set off the alarm.
Oh yeah, for the A/C, on the right side there 3 buttons for top, middle, and feet. The middle button is mid vents.

Old 09-17-2005, 03:14 AM
mig
1st Gear

I'm in uptown manhattan, I have clients in 22nd st though (I'm a computer (network/webbuilding) consultant).

This is good, maybe you guys (from NYC) know a good audi shop that i can take the car to, since I don't know any mechanics that'll work on audis.

And about the speed manager I got the screen to show up, but the windshield wiper toggle didn't work, i didn't see a speed just the MPH icon while holding down the left ****.

As for the windshield wiper fluid, i got it to work (after holding).

Thanks for the information slee22.

Old 09-17-2005, 03:23 AM
2nd Gear

what kind of work do u need?

just had some done a few mths ago.

Quick Reply: Just got my 1998 A6 2.8 Q, a few questions