AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   Just took new pics of my A6!!!! (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/just-took-new-pics-my-a6-42673/)

cary12 10-24-2006 11:34 PM

RE: Just took new pics of my A6!!!!

ORIGINAL: Devastata_A6

ORIGINAL: twinblowersonice

I second the drop idea (just not too much, maybe a 0.5 inch - just right...)
tint looks nice too, man.
I'm thinking of dropping my A6. Can you recommend parts? How much should I expect to spend? I have access to tools but am not a mechanic and have never dropped any of my rides, whats the ease of this task?

[IMG]local://upfiles/23783/C8AE7F398054486D9BAB2362441D3D8A.jpg[/IMG]

I would recommend a body kit before dropping it. You save the ride too.

Devastata_A6 10-25-2006 12:01 AM

Where are some places to find a bodykit? When searching I've only seen a kit on LLTEK. And Ebay (which im not sure about buying a kit from).

euphoriA4 10-25-2006 01:43 AM

i've heard of people buying kits off ebay and having it work out okay, but you never really know, I'm with you, it seems a little sketch. LLTek is usually the most noted place I see, but you could also search AF

twinblowersonice 10-25-2006 02:08 AM

I just got my LLTEK catalogue, and to be honest, I think its a bit pricey. I know that if you want better handling, you don't necessarily have to drop it, I hear H-Sport sway bars do magic to cornering without affecting the suspension.

euphoriA4 10-25-2006 02:19 AM

sometimes you can accomplish the cool look of a body kit by just painting your lowers. sometimes not. but it's worth a photoshop, i find that with darker cars the painting of the lowers doesn't matter as much.

twinblowersonice 10-25-2006 02:50 AM

A4s have unpainted lowers (without the sport pack), A6s (US-Spec) ALL come with painted lowers.
No bodykit I've ever seen looks better than the stock A6 look dropped. At least to me...

slee22 10-25-2006 12:02 PM

^^True story

gpz 10-26-2006 12:01 AM

ORIGINAL: slee22

ORIGINAL: gpz

In other words, I don't want to scrape my car and make it less drivable just for somebodies idea of how a car should look. Performance improvement? Upgrade the sway bars and shocks...
And by "less drivable" you mean it will handle curves better, lessen brake dive, and lower the drag coefficient...all for someone else's amusement. [sm=smiley24.gif]
Yes, I am highly amused every time I see a tuner car scrape its way across the intersection one door down from my driveway... sometimes they leave pieces of body kits behind, sometimes parts of mufflers... :D When I drive up my driveway, I know for a fact that I have exactly 1/4 of clearance between my front lower and scraping... since I have to drive up my driveway at least twice a day to the garage, I consider lowering it and scraping to be less drivable.

I'm also saying that you would see WAY more return on investment performance wise, especially in curves, if you upgrade the sway bar versus dropping the car.

If I were to take my car to the track it would be a different story, but if you were to be honest with yourself you'd realize that 99.9% of your driving is done in the real world where high performance handling through curves, worrying about brake dive, and driving under 70 mph where drag coefficient even starts to play a role... I consider that 'drivable'. Also: the actual change in drag coefficient, which is affected by the the shape, is only VERY minimally influenced by lowering the car. There are actually other aerodynamic effects at play, one of which is a very slight reduction in the cross sectional area of the front of the car when the tires are pulled tighter into the wheel wells.

Good engineering is about making compromises in order to seek an optimum solution for all considerations. I consider my Audi to be just about perfect for my daily driver needs... If you take your car on the track, and you don't mind scraping your car every now and then when driving in the real world, then have at it. Otherwise I consider lowering my car to be just a fashion statement, and I won't do it.... Ask me how I feel about the fashion industry sometime, I dare you ;)

gpz 10-26-2006 12:05 AM

ORIGINAL: euphoriA4

gorgeous... what color is that?
It is Europa Blue Mica, just like mine, although mine doesn't have that pinstripe on it.

slee22 10-26-2006 03:32 AM

I think there's a misconception here of what lowered is. You don't have to slam your ride to where you lose trim pieces on speed bumps, a 1.5" drop will enhance the performance and will rarely scrape.
Also, lowering by just 30mm yields a -5% change in drag...not a bad gain.
As for real world driving: brake dive occurs everyday, every time you brake especially in traffic; being able to handle curves well translates to being able to swerve and miss an obstruction in the road (or the occasional girl on the cell phone that is about to plow her new Tahoe into me).