AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   Just took new pics of my A6!!!! (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/just-took-new-pics-my-a6-42673/)

gpz 10-27-2006 12:00 AM

RE: Just took new pics of my A6!!!!

ORIGINAL: slee22

I think there's a misconception here of what lowered is. You don't have to slam your ride to where you lose trim pieces on speed bumps, a 1.5" drop will enhance the performance and will rarely scrape.
For me, that would scrape every time I drove the car.

Also, lowering by just 30mm yields a -5% change in drag...not a bad gain.
I'd have to see your data, because I don't believe the results. The drag coefficient has not changed, unless you add a spoiler and other ground effects. It is still a blunt body going through the air. The only effect that lowering would have is reducing the cross-sectional area by that amount the tires are pulled into the wheel wells, and that certainly is not a 5 % reduction in area.

By the way, the formula for calculating drag force is equal to 1/2 * the density of the fluid * the drag coefficient * the cross sectional area * the velocity squared. The drag coefficient, while it is a function of the Reynolds number and the fluid viscosity and there are some ways to estimate it, is usually experimentally determined.

As for real world driving: brake dive occurs everyday, every time you brake especially in traffic; being able to handle curves well translates to being able to swerve and miss an obstruction in the road (or the occasional girl on the cell phone that is about to plow her new Tahoe into me).
Brake dive could be just as easily corrected with better shocks, and perhaps slightly stiffer springs, and still keep the stock ride height. Personally, my car doesn't dive enough to bother me in the least.

I'm not disputing that you can improve the handling performance over stock. I'm just saying that for me it is not worth it.

Devastata_A6 10-27-2006 12:21 AM

ORIGINAL: twinblowersonice

I just got my LLTEK catalogue, and to be honest, I think its a bit pricey. I know that if you want better handling, you don't necessarily have to drop it, I hear H-Sport sway bars do magic to cornering without affecting the suspension.
I received an LLTEK catalogue also, and they ARE up there $$$ for me also. I looked up the H-Sport sways... havent done my homework on em tho. Forgive me if this a dumb question been SUVing for the past 10 years (and when I sell mine and buy the Audi the gas prices drop!!). How difficult is the install?

slee22 10-27-2006 01:57 AM

ORIGINAL: gpz

I'd have to see your data, because I don't believe the results. The drag coefficient has not changed, unless you add a spoiler and other ground effects. It is still a blunt body going through the air. The only effect that lowering would have is reducing the cross-sectional area by that amount the tires are pulled into the wheel wells, and that certainly is not a 5 % reduction in area.

The last two issues of European Car did a two part segment on aerodynamics and one way to lower the DC was to drop the car.

As for dropping it or not; to each his own, I was just pointing out that myself as well as many other Audi drivers have had great results with suspension mods. :)

Ante 10-29-2006 09:31 AM

Nice ride!!

yrk2.7t 10-30-2006 12:06 AM

looks nice

gpz 10-31-2006 03:49 AM

Where did you get the wheels? What offset are they?

dblock110 12-11-2006 09:18 PM

http://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com...als/audi.shtml

thats where i bought them. they came in like a week. they are replicas and the whole set was like 500 i think. they are 5x112

Fall0ut 12-16-2006 10:40 PM

ORIGINAL: slee22

Looks pretty good, now drop it!
by dropping it you mean lowering right?

How much does it cost to lower ur car and how many cm or inches can u drop an A6?

slee22 12-17-2006 10:28 PM

^Yeah I was referring to lowering. As for cost, it depends on what brands you get and if you are going with a shock/spring combo which could be about $650 (not including installation) or if you go with coilovers which average about $1,400 for the kits. The amount of drop is dependent on your taste, most kits will drop it about 1.5" in the front and 1.3" in the rear.

votblindub 12-17-2006 11:13 PM

2 things, vaccuum that trunk and take the stripes off