Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N Filter question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 04:13 PM
1st Gear
Default K&N Filter question?

I have a regular air filter in my a6 4.2. I'm wondering about the K&N filter for about $50. Does it really make a difference in terms of any gains etc...thanks

Old 10-01-2009, 04:16 PM
1st Gear

yea i have one in my 3.2 and you really do feel a difference... your not gonna slash your quater mile and yournot gonna have a huge jump in hp but your car idles smoother and you can feel the car breathing a little easier... its hard to explain but it does make a diff... i just got the stock drop in cone replacement from k&N

Old 10-02-2009, 09:55 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by trinituner08
yea i have one in my 3.2 and you really do feel a difference... your not gonna slash your quater mile and yournot gonna have a huge jump in hp but your car idles smoother and you can feel the car breathing a little easier... its hard to explain but it does make a diff... i just got the stock drop in cone replacement from k&N
Just a few questions, If it helps with the idle and smooths out the acceleration I might try one.

You don't have any problems with the oil getting all over the MAF? -that's my fear.
How long have you had it in?
You have the cone? Did you consider the square one that fit's in the air box? Seems to me that the air box has good incomming air volume.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:13 AM
1st Gear

well before i bought it and put it in I spoke to my service rep at the audi dealership. he said that it will not hurt the car in any awy but the oil on the maf is a problem. not because of the filter itsself but because of the person cleaning it. he said that when people that do no kno what they are doing try to clean it, they go oil happy which leaves a thick residual that gets sucked onto the maf. he reccomended that i have it cleaned and oiled by someone with experience doing that so i dont screw it up.

my stock airbox uses a cone filter so in my case it was the same as a square one that would fit into your car. i didnt mess with the stock setup just the filter and i made sure that it was an exact match

Old 10-02-2009, 10:16 AM
1st Gear

btw I have had it in for about 3000 miles now and ive run K&N's in every car ive owned from a pontiac bonneville to a mercedes to my brothers bmw.... very reliable and does what they say it will.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:30 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks I'll have to give it a try. Every little bit helps!

Old 10-02-2009, 03:06 PM
3rd Gear

I had one in my car for awhile, but noticed no difference in performance nor gas mileage. One thing that I noticed was the my throttle body valve was getting dirtier faster, meaning better flow of air, but more dirt getting in. In combination with MAF sensor concern, I am now back to the paper filters. Anyways, just be careful with the over oiling it.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:06 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah, just so most of you know: the stock intake on just about all Audi's is nearly as good as you can get - unlike a lot of other cars where an aftermarket filter actually does a good bit, it just doesn't do much here. Most people won't notice the difference from stock with our cars, if you do notice a little bit, then good! I'm glad you spent money on it.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:30 PM
1st Gear

ok. so the only real issue with it is the oil getting into the maf? How does that happen or work? The one I was considering getting was the square one.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:52 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by sollyd25
ok. so the only real issue with it is the oil getting into the maf? How does that happen or work? The one I was considering getting was the square one.
Simple, the filter uses oil to aid in the filtering (i.e. the filter needs oil to operate normally) and being that the air flow goes: intake→filter→MAF→engine you can obviously see that if you have too much oil on the filter (the biggest problem with these) this then gets on the MAF and prevents it from working as it should, which causes problems with the engine. That's more or less the idea anyway.

edit: see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K&N_Eng...c.#Air_Filters
A K&N air filter is constructed of multiple layers of cotton gauze material pleated between two aluminum wire mesh screens, and then treated with specially formulated oil. The oil acts as a tacking agent and enhances the efficiency of the cotton filter media. This design allows for a greater volume of air to pass through per square inch of filter media than through a section of disposable paper or synthetic filter media of the same size. As a result, an engine will generate more horsepower and better acceleration than it will with a disposable air filter.

Last edited by nm3210; 10-02-2009 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply: K&N Filter question?