Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kayak solutions w/ factory base carriers

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 02:43 AM
1st Gear
Default Kayak solutions w/ factory base carriers

Anyone have experience with kayak carriers on top of an A6 with factory base carriers?
I guess the only real options out there are the Yakima and Thule J arms, just wanted some input if anyone's installed them before and what adapters you need.

Also, anyone have recommendations for bike arms other than the Barracuda?

Thanks.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:51 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Kayak solutions w/ factory base carriers

Can't comment on the kayak rack, but I'll be watching closely for an answer (I'm a fellow kayaker but have my rack for that on my SUV -- will probably keep it there but would love to know my options). FWIW, I have the Yakima J rack and a hully roller. I have the latter for my kayak (relatively heavy plastic sea kayak) and the former for my son's lighter kayak. I don't think the hully roller would work well on the A6 sedan because of the trunk (I have the roller part of the rack right near the edge of the roof on my SUV).

As far as the bike rack goes, I have (and love) the viper rack by Yakima. You have to remove the front wheel, but the rack is VERY stable, quite streamlined, and accomodates all kinds of bikes (including those with disk brakes).

Old 07-23-2006, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

The question is do you want to carry your boat flat or on its side ?

Also do you have a rack already ? (yakima or Thule or factory ?)

if you have a factory rack i would suggest Thule Hull-a-port $140 and they install on factory and thule racks so well plus you get straps and bow and stern tie downs. ITs a great package deal.

Check out www.rackhuas.com or PM me with any questions.

Old 07-28-2006, 06:01 AM
1st Gear

Here is my car with a NOVA CRAFT canoe and a L-logic whitewater boat up on a Yakima rack. Its worked out just fine and it was great on the trip. No wind noise b/c it cut through the wind real nice.