Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

key fob.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:37 AM
1st Gear
Default key fob.

so, i have one key. thats it. all i ever got with the car. not worried about previous owner since im on an army base so security with any potential other keys isnt an issue. what i am having trouble with, is the one key i have works intermittently. i cracked it completely open, and the circuit is corroded and fried, it only occasionally makes contact. im looking at buying another key online, for keyless entry purposes. can use current key for ignition. so what is the worst case scenario for me here? ive programmed this key to the car multiple times through the door without using any other key and didnt have a problem, but will it be possible for me to program a key fob with a blank key or key cut for different car to function properly with mine?

Old 02-09-2010, 10:04 AM
2nd Gear

Take a piece of advice from experience: go get another key! I only got one with my car and I didn't worry about it until I lost it!!! The car had to be towed to the dealer to get a replacement key made and programmed! Do yourself a favour and go get another key! Now!!!!

Bob

Old 02-09-2010, 11:25 AM
1st Gear

to piggy back on this...sorry if im hijackin your thread but i have a follow on question

can I just get made at a local locksmith? i see its an oddly shaped key but id just like a spare one just to turn the car on...i dont mind if i dont have the automatic locks just need it to turn on the car

Old 02-09-2010, 04:31 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Got my spare from midwestkeyless on ebay. Give them a call at 866-604-9202. I bid on the wrong fob for my car and had to call them. They were very helpful in assuring that I got the correct part.

As for cutting the key, VW and Audi dealers have machine. There are very few (but some) locksmiths that have the right one. Then you need to go to the AUDI dealer to get it programmed properly (for some reason the VW dealership told me they couldn't do it).

I'm pretty sure there is some chip that needs to be programmed to start the car. Having the right pattern cut is only part of the process.

If you know some sort of code there is a VAGCOM method of getting a cut key programmed but I don't really know anything about it.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:56 PM
1st Gear

There's several people on ebay that sell the audi keys.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Old 02-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Site Moderator

**** ebay keys, they never work right. Crappy chinese $&#(*$&(#*&

www.keylessride.com I've bought several keys/remotes from these guys, they will send you identical/better than stock keys. My remote transmitter is almost double the distance than my that of my stock transmitter that came with the car.

Edit: I should add that if you choose to get a flat blade key from these guys with the transmitter you will still need to take it to the dealer to have it cut and matched to your car for immobilizer reasons.

Last edited by auditech79; 02-09-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:36 PM
1st Gear

How much does it cost to get the dealer to program the keys?

I just looked through Keyless and it says for the 2000 A6 the key part doesn't need programming. But if you are programming the remote you need 2 working keys, one to turn the ignition and one to unlock the door.

Last edited by Hdale85; 02-09-2010 at 08:40 PM.