Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob replacement?

Old 09-07-2007, 04:11 AM
1st Gear
Default Key Fob replacement?

I have a 2001 Audi A6 Quattro and have only one key fob. I would like to get a second key fob for a spare. Can I get the newer key fobs for the 2002-2005 A6 or do I have to get the original? The key # on my says 4DO.837.231E 51/100.

I was looking at a few on E-bay and was curious if I could get one with the uncut key but with#4DO.837.231P. I know that Ineed to take it to the dealer to have it reprogrammed but its cheaper to buy the key fob off the web.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:59 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Key Fob replacement?

Because you have a 2001 (and not a 2003 or newer) you don't need the dealer to program it because you don't have an immobilizer in your key.

What you DO need is a fob which matches your number identically. So you need one that says 4DO.837.231E and it can't have any other letter after it. Yes occasionally someone gets lucky and another letter will work on their car, but for the most part you have to get the exact same number.

If the key comes with a key blank, then you need to find someone to cut it for you. One of the service advisers at my local Audi dealerdid this on my spare blanks for free, but don't expect all of them to do the same. If the dealer won't help you, try a locksmith and maybe you will find one that has the proper equipment. One word of caution - if you want to buy a new keyblank from the dealer, they will sell you the entire upper half of the remote (the part with the blank and the spring and the Audi logo) and it will cost you at least $65, so I would suggest the eBay keyblanks at about $6 a pop....in a 2001 they will work fine.

Once you have a key that locks and unlocks the car, and once you have a remote with the right number the rest is easy. Programming instructions can be found online or even in your manual. All you need is another key that works and you can program a second fob no problem. If you get that far and get stuck, just post a message here and I'll dig out my instructions I used and upload them if need be.

Good luck.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:47 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I do have one remote that works but wanted a second just incase. Thanks again.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:24 PM
1st Gear

Good info on getting another fob - I need to get a spare, too.

Found the following info on reprogramming the fob on this forum (from jestnomen on 10/298/2004):

The following instructions are to reprogram your switchblade key fob.

1. Take a spare key and insert it into the ignition. Turn it one click forward.

2. Roll down your window just in case. Step outside the car, and lock the car with a second key.

3. With your second key fob press the unlock button. The lights should flash.

4. Now lock the car with the key fob, and then unlock it.

5. Remove the key from the lock and the key from the ignition, and try it's function.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:23 AM
1st Gear

My Key Fob has the number 4DO.837.231
No letter after it. It is a 2 button fob for a '98 A6. I see a lot of these numbers on ebay. will they work? they also seem to be 3 button. Does this matter?
HLO 8PO837231
8ZO 837 231/355029
8ZO837231D/2024A4
8Z0 837 231/ 255029
4DO 837 231A

Old 11-07-2007, 08:08 PM
aXc
1st Gear

Noob question...Where do you get the key number...? do you have to open the key?

Old 11-08-2007, 01:06 AM
1st Gear

yes, open the case up. There are a load of numbers but on mine it was right at the bottom of this list. very small I could just about read it!

Old 11-08-2007, 11:01 AM
3rd Gear

I have found that E's and P's seem to be interchangeable. That of course is assuming the rest of the part # is the same. The dealer told me none of the remotes were interchangeable, but after some digging on AW and AF I found many people posting all sorts of things. Now will a P work on an E car always? Was I and many others just lucky? The only thing I and the dealer can say for certain is that a P works for a P and an E work for an E. Personally, get the E, look for one with an OEM keyblade so you know for sure the dealer will cut it. Before having it cut try to program it (you need both keys now, since you didn't cut your new one) and if it doesn't work, sell it again on ebay and you lost maybe 5.00 dollars. If it works, you saved yourself, what like 100 or more.

Just pop the key blade off the old one and put it on the new one and try programming it. It took me maybe 5 or 6 tries to get it working. But I also don't think I was following the programming procedure correctly. There is also a second procedure to follow if you want to have both keyfobs working at the same time. I don't remember how to do any of this so search.

Jeff

Jeff

Old 11-08-2007, 12:39 PM

okay so I want to see my key number and i know you have to take the cover off using the little slit under the rings logo but does the blade have to be out? also can I pull pretty hard without anything breaking?

Old 11-08-2007, 05:15 PM
1st Gear

Yes, just put a small screwdriver in the slot and pull apart. The flip key can be in or out.

I've just seen some other Fobs on Ebay. one ends in "K". since mine doesn't have a letter after it I'm not sure what to do. Maybe no letter means "A"???

I did not realise there was another procedure to have more than one Fob working at the same time. I assumed when i programmed the new one both would then work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Key Fob replacement?