Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A kinda jerk snatch when accelerating, 6 speed maual 2.7T

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 03:14 PM
1st Gear
Default A kinda jerk ****** when accelerating, 6 speed maual 2.7T

Looking for some ideas on what's causing my 2000 Audi A6 2.7T 6 speed manual to hesitate, then a few jerks when accelerating. This is when driving under as I call,"commuter mode." When I shift normaly, even from 1st to 2nd, but more so from second to third. Even, for example, I am exiting from an exit ramp, and I am at a speed where, yea, I could downshift to 2nd gear, but I accelerate out of it in 3rd instead. You all know that the 2.7t has plenty enough get up to do that, and ( know what your thinking clutch problem) if my rpm's were to low, then it should just bog down a bit, but it jerks and snatches a few time.

I can start the car in 2nd gear from a dead stop, so its not the clutch. My mechanic says its not fuel related because it would happen all the time, not just while shifting through the low gears.

One other suggestion is that it could be the motor (engine) mounts. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Old 02-07-2015, 07:05 PM
1st Gear

Interesting because I am experiencing the same thing I believe. I dont think it is my clutch either (as far as wear) . Hot spots on the flywheel maybe?

Old 02-09-2015, 09:31 AM
1st Gear
Default Fly Wheel

Not sure as to how it be fly-wheel. Its only when i accelerate from low speeds. I thought of changing the fuel filter, but I did that about 50K miles ago, so have to rule that out.

To me it seems like a fuel issue, but mechanic says other wise. We did do the test on the motor mounts, and I do need them. I just can't see how "accelerating" can make them shake, and jerk when fuel is applied...

Old 02-09-2015, 04:05 PM
3rd Gear

I don't have a definitive answer but there is a lot more torque applied in 1st and 2nd than in higher gears and if the motor is moving, it could result in the symptoms you describe. I've had to replace a clutch, and the symptoms were immediate revving without any corresponding increase in speed. It was worse in lower gears, but happened across all gears. When they went in to do the clutch, they found the flywheel was in bad shape and it was replaced, too. That was 150k miles ago and no problems since, but I do notice my synchros are starting to wear and in cold weather it is difficult to slip the stick into the lower gears smoothly. At 234k, I kind of expect these things.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:22 AM
1st Gear

Agreed. I am the second owner of the car and assume that this is the original clutch, so I am going to have to agree! Thanks for the input!

Old 02-16-2015, 10:08 AM
1st Gear
Default Fly Wheel

PPGoal,

I don't know what I was thinking,but now I understand what you were saying. Seems very plausible about the hot spot on the fly-wheel. I guess there are no real checks, but to just change out the clutch.

Did your clutch still have plenty of pull, before you changed it out?

Old 02-16-2015, 10:21 AM
3rd Gear

My clutch was badly slipping when I changed it out. I had (allegedly) done a high speed run one night, and the speedo was bouncing between 145-150 and I think it was at that point things started slipping. A couple weeks later I was accelerating hard in top gear, multiple times, at 70 to 100+ and that seemed to complete the "damage". Over the next few weeks the clutch would slip more and more under acceleration. If I babied the accelerator it would be barely noticeable after the clutch engaged, although the revs would rise higher than normal before the car moved. As it became worse, it could rev to 4-5000 rpm in 3rd-4th-5th-6th with no corresponding increase in speed. I had to very gingerly accelerate to avoid slippage. I knew it was the clutch, but when my indie pulled it apart he also found the flywheel had partially disintegrated -- there were pieces of metal in the housing and the flywheel had some chunks (not sure what; it's been too long) missing. We ended up ordering in the lightweight flywheel, which was not part of our orginal repair plan.