Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LCD display warning light and timer...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Default LCD display warning light and timer...

Hi

I recently bought 02 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro.

By far this is the worst car I had ever owned. Is seems like there is a new problem every time i fix one.

So, here's the thing.

I get this warning light on LCD display. I believe it's a steering wheel with number 1 next to it. It lights up every time i go over 25mph and disappears when I go under 25 mph.

Next thing is that timer underneath temperature. It counts time every time i start the car up, how do I turn that off ? I appeared one day and was blinking at first...

This car has 60,000 miles and I already replaced both axle shafts, transmission gasket and I'm about to replace drive shaft seal because it's leaking oil. Broken LCD display is just a cherry on top all of that...

Thanks for any help.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1917/photo0119.jpg

Old 10-03-2009, 07:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Icon

Hi, Sorry about the troubles your'e having with the car, but I may be able to help you. The icon you attatched is a speed limit alarm that has been programmed in to chime once the set speed is reached. You can disbale it altogether, or just set it at a higher speed...I've got mine set at 90mph.

I don't remember the exact procedures for all of this, but it is covered and explained in the owners manual. Hopefully your car will prove more reliable once these existing issues are addressed.

The timer/counter shown simply displays the total hours on the engine since it was last reset. You can reset this to zero also...I usually reset mine at every oil change. You also have other options on the information display that you can access by scrolling back and forth with a small button located on the underside of the wiper stalk. It shows the timer, trip timer, current mpg, average mpg, and average speed.

Oh, by the way...the blinking timer is a trip computer counting the minutes for that trip. It will blink until acknowledged and reset for trips that last longer than 2 hours.

Last edited by TwinTurboC5; 10-03-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:26 PM

Hey, Thanks a lot!

My car did not come with Owner's Manual so I had no idea about those 2 buttons on wiper stalk.

So all I have to do now is fix LCD screen (I believe I saw someone on eBay who can fix it for $140) and do something with my transmission.

For some reason it jerks when fluid is warm. Id doesn't when it's cold. I guess it was a mistake that I changed gasket without changing filter and oil at the same time. I'll have to look into this next week when I'll be replacing that shaft seal.

Also, would you recommend this stuff ??

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=F2A1007-B

Other than that it's all interior blemishes like center console cupholder (I would be grateful if someone had DIY on how to fix it so it closes).

Thanks for any help!

Old 10-03-2009, 10:14 PM
2nd Gear

The trany is a PITA to fill. You should capture all of the fluid you drain and measure it.At least you will know to put that much back in. You should also read up on it I did one find my old thread on transmission whining and read that.

If you do not have a manual and a Vag-Com I suggest you get them. Makes life so much easier.

The kit is fine but order 2 more bottles of fluid. The idiots at blau short you one by selling you 5 and it's good to have an extra in case you spill or need a little more. Mine took about 6.2L

I would also look into the symptoms of a failing torque converter.

The rear seal on the trany??? The heat shield broke when I took mine off. so I made an aluminum bracket that holds it off the exhaust pipes on square aluminum tubes and bolted it to the exhaust pipes. Just in case you run into that problem. Also the seal from autohauzAZ is too small. I got mine from WorldImpex, it was OEM so be sure you have the correct seal before you begin. Part number for the rear seal on the transmission is 018409399B, the B is important apparently they use the number for another seal without the B.

try these links if you need one,

http://www.worldimpex.com/search_by_...tno=018409399b

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/018409399B/

Something I have learned is that every rubber object on mine was rotten. As you go into work on something have a look around and replace everything rubber around it. seals, o-rings, gaskets etc...you'll be better off. Reality is that the richy-rich who owned it before you wouldn't know the difference between a sparkplug and a but plug so they never did anything and if the dealer really did it all they would be looking at a 10K bill. Keep pluggin away-it does get better.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:41 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by omnibus88
I get this warning light on LCD display. I believe it's a steering wheel with number 1 next to it. It lights up every time i go over 25mph and disappears when I go under 25 mph.

Broken LCD display is just a cherry on top all of that...

Thanks for any help.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1917/photo0119.jpg
Above the temp display you have a warning sign that actually may be the brake pad wear warning light. It looks like a steering wheel, but since your LCD is screwed up, you cannot see the dashes on both sides of the circle.
Have you checked your brake pads since replacing the CV axles?

Old 10-04-2009, 12:34 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
Above the temp display you have a warning sign that actually may be the brake pad wear warning light. It looks like a steering wheel, but since your LCD is screwed up, you cannot see the dashes on both sides of the circle.
Have you checked your brake pads since replacing the CV axles?
It's definitely the MPH warning, like 100%:
vs.

edit: image from http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec57.shtml

Last edited by nm3210; 10-04-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jackmup

The rear seal on the trany??? The heat shield broke when I took mine off. so I made an aluminum bracket that holds it off the exhaust pipes on square aluminum tubes and bolted it to the exhaust pipes. Just in case you run into that problem. Also the seal from autohauzAZ is too small. I got mine from WorldImpex, it was OEM so be sure you have the correct seal before you begin. Part number for the rear seal on the transmission is 018409399B, the B is important apparently they use the number for another seal without the B.

try these links if you need one,

http://www.worldimpex.com/search_by_...tno=018409399b

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/018409399B/

Oh man...thanks a lot! I was actually wondering where I could get that seal for a good price.

nm3210, I believe you are right. I am trying to figure out how to turn that thing off. I had to set it somehow by mistake...

BTW Audi dealerships charge sooo much for any part. They want over $60 just for a tranny gasket and another $60 for a filter. I believe they told me something around $80 for that seal.

Look like it's gonna be a nice project this week

Old 10-04-2009, 05:05 AM
1st Gear
Default Icon

Hey Omnibus88, I read your reply and you stated that your car did not come with an owners manual. In the A6 you and I own, they were not typically placed in the glovebox. You should check under the steering column...There is a slot cut out below it in the lower portion of the dash that Audi stores the owners manual in from the factory. You might be surprised and find yours is still there.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:20 PM

OK, I checked and that in fact is speed warning light. I thought it was a steering wheel icon and believed it was steering issue of some sort. I need new LCD fast.

chefro - I got brand new pads on front and rear are still good

TwinTurboC5 - Nothing there, thanks though because I had no idea there was any kind of storage underneath steering column

Jackmup- Is correct name for that seal "Output Shaft Seal"? I am going to call Audi for correct part number first thing Monday.

On the website you gave me It says that this seal is for A6 with 4.2 engine only

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/018409399B/ES4931/

Thanks a lot to all of you guys.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:46 PM
3rd Gear

Obviously I was guessing wrong, that circle could have been either of the two. Someone has better eyes than I do to detect what exactly was in the pic of that faulty LCD display.

Quick Reply: LCD display warning light and timer...