Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LCD information module question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 11:15 PM
1st Gear
Default LCD information module question

I just got a 98 A6 Q last week and I'm wondering where to buy a replacement LCD. Been looking around online, but no luck. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-18-2005, 04:50 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: LCD information module question

Replacement for????

Instrument cluster, radio, hvac controls??

I'm assuming you mean instrument cluster. Unfortunately you cannot just replace the display, you must replace the entire instrument cluster which runs between $400-700. In this case the dealer is your best friend or an OEM reseller like clairparts.com

Good luck!

Old 05-18-2005, 06:28 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, I need the instrument cluster! LCD is unreadable and fades after 10 minutes of driving. Could this be a connection with the LCD, or do they just suck and crap out after a few years?

Old 05-18-2005, 06:30 PM
1st Gear

Unfortunately they crap out =(

You might want to check connections first before going all out and replacing it. I wish Audi would just figure a way to service the display...this seems to be a growing problem now that the model years are getting older.

Old 05-20-2005, 11:01 PM

I bought mine last month, everything was working fine, till two days ago when my auto check system display no longer gives me the outside temp, i talked to a dealer today who wants to check it out on tuesday, sounds like the instrument panel thing is problem, am i fucked or what? Help

Old 06-19-2007, 03:12 AM

I used to have a 2000 S4, same problem. My friend bought a 2001.5, same problem. I recently bought a 2001.5 black S4, same problem. This is not a coincidence.Can't we demand Audi to issue a recall. Obviously it is defective. keyword...DEFECTIVE!!! we can CC it to some government automobile industry.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:02 PM
1st Gear

Does anyone know why these fail? That is, is it mechanical like poor or corroded connections? Or is it more electronic like the led element failing. Obviously it is tied to the temperature of the module. Any answers are greatly appreciated.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

The reason why these fail is the ribbon that connects to the cluster. There's nothing you can do about but bite your thumb, as the numbers and info start pixelating. It's a pain but you would have to buy a new cluster from the dealer. There is no easy way to fix this. The temperature inside your car is themain culprit of this problem. If it's cold or hot,this will take a toll on the cluster since the info flashes back and forth. Audi's aren't the only vehicles that do this, BMW's have the same problem as do other vehicles with the same set digital set. Face it, German Auto Engineering is perfect on the car but German Electronics suck, hate to say it [:'(]

Old 06-19-2007, 07:14 PM
1st Gear

I have a 99 A6 that is doing the same thing as everyone else. Have people tried replacing the ribbon cable (or cleaning the appropriate ends)? I have a ton of electronics repair experience and am new to my A6 and it just seems that there MUST be a way...
TIA for any and all info...

Old 06-20-2007, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

People have tried and all have failed. There were a few guys that were IT Techs and couldn't get it fixed. Unless there is someone who is persistant and wants to have at it?

Quick Reply: LCD information module question