Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaking valve cover - blauparts kit

Old 10-21-2008, 12:02 AM
1st Gear
Default leaking valve cover - blauparts kit

I am getting a lot of leaking oil from the the valve cover i believe and was planning on putting in new gaskets. I see some kits have just gaskets and seem straightforward but the blauparts kit has extra cam related seals and gaskets and requires a special tool which they rent. Wondering who has used this kit and if they recommend it...also how long did it take?...etc. heres the link:

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GF21002

Also trying to figure out the cause of the problem..i saw another post about possibly being clog in the breather system:

http://www.tobio.info/passat/howtos/...leakhowto.html

how many have changed the suction jet pump and fixed the problem?

Old 10-21-2008, 07:23 AM
2nd Gear

I seem to be having a similar issue and was going to take it to the indy shop when I had the extra money saved up. Mech said it could be around $1k to fix, but just a valve cover doesn't seem all that difficult for the mechanically inclined. Saavy?

What engine do you have?

Old 10-21-2008, 08:34 AM
2nd Gear

The Blauparts kit is mostly for the cam seals, which require removal of the TB and cam sprockets. A real PITA job.

Start with the easy possibilities: the valve cover gasket. Then, maybe the vacuum pump. Lastly, and only when you are ready to do the TB and water pump, the cam seals.

I just did my TB and was prepared to do the cam seals but found they were not leaking. It was just the valve cover gasket.

Bob

Old 10-21-2008, 11:42 AM
3rd Gear

Even if you are not planning to the the cam seals, it may be good to replace the cam tensioner seals while you have the valve cover out. You do need the cam tensioner tool though...

Old 10-21-2008, 06:30 PM
1st Gear

thnks for the replies...yea i think i'll get the kit and just do the stuff you can get to under the valve cover. Then when i do the timing belt next spring i'll have extra seals for that.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:34 PM
1st Gear

oh for those that have had the leaking valve cover problem...were the gaskets and seals the problem or were there other underlying causes?? would like to know what else to check for.

thanks

Old 10-21-2008, 07:14 PM
1st Gear
Old 10-22-2008, 08:27 AM
2nd Gear

If we decide to do the suction jet pump, all we need after that are the valve cover gaskets? Any particular brand or a gasket is a gasket is a gasket?

Old 10-22-2008, 04:09 PM
1st Gear

I've replaced the suction pump, camchain tensioner gaskets/seals with half moons, and the valve cover gaskets 3 times!!! adn I still have a leak!!! I'm getting ready to purchase a leakfinder kit to see if I can pinpoint it that way.....it can't possibly be the VC gaskets.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:22 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by madridlover
I've replaced the suction pump, camchain tensioner gaskets/seals with half moons, and the valve cover gaskets 3 times!!! adn I still have a leak!!! I'm getting ready to purchase a leakfinder kit to see if I can pinpoint it that way.....it can't possibly be the VC gaskets.

Only other thing that I can think are the cam deals.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: leaking valve cover - blauparts kit