Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky 1996 a6 avant quattro

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Default Leaky 1996 a6 avant quattro

Hello to all. I was hoping that someone on here can help me with my 1996 Audi A6 wagon.

When we got the car, it had been sitting in water and the rear passenger floors were soaked underneath the carpet. This problem was resolved over time, so we thought, and the car was operating pretty well since then.

However, as of this past week the water has come back entirely. The northeast suffered quite the rain storm earlier this week, and this has all but flooded the floor pans on both sides of the vehicle.

After researching what I could online, I saw that other owners experienced the same problem. Here is the dilemma:

My father and I thought that there was a problem with the drains coming in from the sunroof. After testing all of these, including the other drain underneath the windshield, we have found that all of them seem to work fine. We tried pouring water in the tract and it promptly comes out the drains by the door hinges. As of now we have taken the battery and air pump out, and lifted the carpet to get at the water with towels.

Does anybody know what we could be missing, or where we can check for other leaks? At this point we are baffled as to how so much water could have gotten inside the car in that specific area. There is some on the driver's side as well, but not as much as what seems to be possibly a gallon on the passenger side.

Also, as of the past few days, the car is having a hard time shifting up and down, especially at low speeds. My father says that it could be low on transmission fluid. I cannot find a word about the transmission or how to check the fluid in the manual or even by looking under the hood. All of the other fluid levels seem fine.

It is a beautiful car that I would like to keep driving, but right now the problems seem to be snowballing. If anybody has any help to offer it would be much appreciated.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:31 PM

The ECM and TCM are in the electronic control box under the rug in the passenger footwell. Perhaps water got into this box, if your rug in the front passenger footwell got wet.
The automatic transmission does not have a dipstick. The ATF level is determined by installing the fill plug with ATF coming out of the fillplug hole when the temperature of the transmission reaches the specified temperature. VAG-COM from www.ross-tech.com is used to read the transmission temperature. You may get an ATF refill kit from www.blauparts.com .
http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_f...on_fluid.shtml

Old 04-05-2010, 09:48 PM

Hey, thank you for your help. But do you know of any other drainholes on this particular Audi?