Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifespan of Water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 02:00 AM
Default Lifespan of Water pump?

Hi Folks
I recently bought a A6 2.7T with 100K miles on it. I have all the service records for the car and pretty much everything that is required or recomended has already been done by the Audi dealership....nice...including timing belt at 91K miles. I contacted the dealer and they told me that the only thing that hasn't been done is the water pump..... it takes around 6 - 7 hours of labor ($700 - $800)...
Can anyone tell me how much longer can I wait before I do this?....or, should I do it now?? Will I have any early warnings of the pump going bad??
Thanks Guys !

Old 05-11-2006, 02:07 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Lifespan of Water pump?

ORIGINAL: njtroncoso

Hi Folks
I recently bought a A6 2.7T with 100K miles on it. I have all the service records for the car and pretty much everything that is required or recomended has already been done by the Audi dealership....nice...including timing belt at 91K miles. I contacted the dealer and they told me that the only thing that hasn't been done is the water pump..... it takes around 6 - 7 hours of labor ($700 - $800)...
Can anyone tell me how much longer can I wait before I do this?....or, should I do it now?? Will I have any early warnings of the pump going bad??
Thanks Guys !
Well usually the water pump is replaced when the timing belt is so you do not have to pay twice for takin the whole front of the car off. Water pumps on most cars last a lot longer then they are being replaced but it's so much cheaper just to do it when the timin belt is replaced. i'm not actually sure about audi water pumps but most water pumps should last longer then 100k.

Old 05-12-2006, 01:36 AM
1st Gear

The water pump lasts as long as it's bearings. Unfortunately, and thank gpz for this info, any type of contamination of the coolant will decrease the lifespan of the bearings in the water pump. Once the bearings become etched they begin to hang together instead of rollings. If you get enough of the bearings to stick together then you start to hear knocking as they travel around in their housing. Eventually, they get stuck which seizes the water pump. When the water pump seizes it hangs on to the timing belt, valves stop moving while pistons continue to move... bang, bang, bang, you need a new head.

With these cars, a water pump job turns into a water pump, a timing belt, a roller, a tensioner, a serpentine belt, and a thermostat. Some folks go so far as to include the cam seals to head off any leaks there.

If your water pump isn't knocking... I'd leave it.

Old 05-12-2006, 06:44 AM

ORIGINAL: audiSean

The water pump lasts as long as it's bearings. Unfortunately, and thank gpz for this info, any type of contamination of the coolant will decrease the lifespan of the bearings in the water pump. Once the bearings become etched they begin to hang together instead of rollings. If you get enough of the bearings to stick together then you start to hear knocking as they travel around in their housing. Eventually, they get stuck which seizes the water pump. When the water pump seizes it hangs on to the timing belt, valves stop moving while pistons continue to move... bang, bang, bang, you need a new head.

With these cars, a water pump job turns into a water pump, a timing belt, a roller, a tensioner, a serpentine belt, and a thermostat. Some folks go so far as to include the cam seals to head off any leaks there.

If your water pump isn't knocking... I'd leave it.
Thanks a Lot AudiSean... one last question though....will the knocking be loud and noticable, or will I have to pop the hood and check for it every so often??
Thanks.

Old 05-13-2006, 01:15 PM
3rd Gear

Usually they leak before there is audible noise. I wouldnt worry about the pump being bad unless its leaking or you have overheating issues.

Old 05-13-2006, 01:22 PM

there is no life span on the water pump so I use the rule of thumb ( 2 timing belt changes = 1 new pump ) which is just a guide