Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

light weight pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 02:20 PM
1st Gear
Default light weight pulley?

Is it worth putting on a 01 a6 2.7? I had done it to my lancer a few years back and there was a small difference made. Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

Old 02-05-2013, 06:47 PM
1st Gear

The front pulley on most Audi engines is also a harmonic damper. It is typically made of two relatively heavy steel parts joined with rubber. This helps to keep the engine rotating smoothly and avoids annoying and possibly damaging resonances.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:29 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

you can sub in lightweight crank, alternator, and power steering pulleys. you engine doesn't have to work as hard to spin the pulleys due to their lower rotational mass. Stock pulleys are pretty well made and the amount of horsepower you gain from the lightweight pulleys is negligible.

conceptually it sounds like a good idea, however, you are not going to notice any performance difference

Old 02-05-2013, 08:01 PM
1st Gear

The main reason for lightweight spinning hardware is to improve the engines ability to accelerate rapidly but as 02A6Beau says it does not increase your horsepower. You have to compare the inertia of the spinning masses with the inertia of the car. In the case of a street car the inertia of the car overwhelms the inertia of the pulley. This is not the case for race cars which are much lighter.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:38 PM
1st Gear

Gotcha. So I won't worry about that then. Just trying to gain a lil bit of horsepower as I replace things. I have the front bumper off doing the timing belt and was just wondering ause the auto store by my house has underdrive pulleys and was just gonna switch them. But not anymore thanks guys.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

If it's a turbo engine wouldn't upgrading the wastegates do the trick? You would want to increase the boost and thus hp. How about an ECU upgrade as well?

Old 02-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by carelm
If it's a turbo engine wouldn't upgrading the wastegates do the trick? You would want to increase the boost and thus hp. How about an ECU upgrade as well?
Not necessarily. The ECU has set programing for boost levels any more than what the car is tuned for could throw it into limp mode or cause detonation and lots of knock.

Gutting the cats or doing "piggie pipes" increases power nicely. It will allow the turbos to spool quicker as well as help out top end flow.

Jason

Old 02-07-2013, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
Not necessarily. The ECU has set programing for boost levels any more than what the car is tuned for could throw it into limp mode or cause detonation and lots of knock.

Gutting the cats or doing "piggie pipes" increases power nicely. It will allow the turbos to spool quicker as well as help out top end flow.

Jason
By gutting the cats do you mean removing them?

Old 02-07-2013, 10:23 PM
1st Gear

Technically "gutting the cats" might work but getting the car to pass emissions or safety inspections will be problematic at best. You would be better off trying to find a solution that works within the legal parameters.

Last edited by carelm; 02-07-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paul1234
By gutting the cats do you mean removing them?
Sort of. You'll basically punch them out. It's a pretty popular mod to gain power and response but it's not emissions friendly.

Jason

Quick Reply: light weight pulley?