Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lights left on alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:26 AM
1st Gear
Default Lights left on, alarm?

So after being popped more than enough times by idiots that apparently didn't see me coming, I like to drive with my lights on... ALL THE TIME. Well, every other vehicle I own has given me an alarm when I turn the car off but leave the lights on...except this one (01 A6 2.7T). Needless to say, I've run the battery dead many times more than I should.

Does this car have that option and it's just not working... or is it just not there?

Last edited by 6605stang; 08-03-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:04 AM
2nd Gear

Mine definitely has an alarm! A steady tone sounds when you open the door with the lights on (and a repeating tone when the lights are off and the car is on). If anyone else is curious or didn't know, the tone - both steady and/or repeating - will automatically turn itself off after about a minute of going off.

I think the tone comes from a little speaker on the actual instrument cluster (i've seen it on there myself, and my repair manual backs me up).

Old 08-03-2010, 11:13 AM
1st Gear

Thanks. With repair manual in hand, can you offer any advice on how to fix mine?

Old 08-03-2010, 07:40 PM
2nd Gear

Well we don't know what's wrong yet. Does your alarm ever go off? It should beep (ding?) when the key is turned (i didn't mean to say that the engine had to be running) and the driver's door is open - does it?

This is the same ring that the center console alarm uses when you have something wrong with your car. I have personally had the severe alert (red) of "Low Coolent" when my water pump gave out a while ago, and then the less severe alerts (yellow) when my brake pad sensor opened up and whenever I have low windshield washer fluid. The alarm sound for each one of these is the same as the sound as when the door is open with the key turned but only dings once.

So, again, have you ever heard the ringing/dinging from within the dash? If no, and you are REALLY interested in finding out what the problem is, I implore you to either remove the brake sensor or run the wiper fluid dry, turn the key, and then hit the reset button on the bottom of the right stalk (switching out of park will do the same). You should get one of the yellow alerts on your information display and there should be a decently loud beep associated w/ it. If there is no beep, then the little speaker has gone bad on the actual instrument cluster and unless you replace it yourself (don't know about that) you'll have to get a new cluster ($700).

Last edited by nm3210; 08-03-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nm3210
Well we don't know what's wrong yet. Does your alarm ever go off? It should beep (ding?) when the key is turned (i didn't mean to say that the engine had to be running) and the driver's door is open - does it?

This is the same ring that the center console alarm uses when you have something wrong with your car. I have personally had the severe alert (red) of "Low Coolent" when my water pump gave out a while ago, and then the less severe alerts (yellow) when my brake pad sensor opened up and whenever I have low windshield washer fluid. The alarm sound for each one of these is the same as the sound as when the door is open with the key turned but only dings once.

So, again, have you ever heard the ringing/dinging from within the dash? If no, and you are REALLY interested in finding out what the problem is, I implore you to either remove the brake sensor or run the wiper fluid dry, turn the key, and then hit the reset button on the bottom of the right stalk (switching out of park will do the same). You should get one of the yellow alerts on your information display and there should be a decently loud beep associated w/ it.
1. No it never "dings"
2. Yes, I've heard that sound both with low coolant and worn pads.
3. I have heard that beep, it just doesn't happen when I open the door or when I leave the lights on. Additionally, I'm work to troubleshoot why the horn doesn't honk when I lock the doors too. Could those be both related to some kind of defective door sensor?

Old 08-03-2010, 08:00 PM
2nd Gear

Hmm, interesting. If the door sensor isn't working then when you open the door the footwell lights won't turn on. My fiance's car, also a '99 A6, has this problem in the rear right and the information display doesn't recognize the door as open ever. As far as the car is concerned, the door is always closed, even though it still locks/unlocks properly.

The horn/alarm when locking can be turned off via VAG-COM (via), but if you have not messed with this then it probably is either not working (which is fairly common), or something on the car is not being registered as "secure". The car checks for the hood, trunk, and the four doors when it arms the car and if any of these are not latched it won't determine that the car is "secure". Once all of these have been closed securely, it will chime the gay little alarm/horn from the back wheel-well.

Last edited by nm3210; 08-03-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:15 PM
1st Gear

Hmm, interesting. If the door sensor isn't working then when you open the door the footwell lights won't turn on. My fiance's car, also a '99 A6, has this problem in the rear right and the information display doesn't recognize the door as open ever. As far as the car is concerned, the door is always closed, even though it still locks/unlocks properly.

The horn/alarm when locking can be turned off via VAG-COM (via), but if you have not messed with this then it probably is either not working (which is fairly common), or something on the car is not being registered as "secure". The car checks for the hood, trunk, and the four doors when it arms the car and if any of these are not latched it won't determine that the car is "secure". Once all of these have been closed securely, it will chime the gay little alarm/horn from the back wheel-well.
Okay, well I do recall the foot well lights working. Sounds like it just might be the "gay" horn not working properly? Think it could be as "simple" as that? And any idea as to where it is, how to get to it and by chance what the part number or name is?

This is annoying the hell out of me and it's either spend some money to get it fixed or eventually spend some money to replace the battery (as I keep running the battery dead by leaving the lights on).

Old 08-03-2010, 08:50 PM
2nd Gear

Well let's be clear here. You seem to be having two (hopefully distinct) problems. One being the alarm/buzzer in the instrument cluster up front, and the second being the horn/alarm located in the rear.

I never said it was simple and I am not trying to tell you just to get a new horn/alarm. I don't think we know what's wrong yet; it could be a faulty wire, assembly, or switch somewhere and I think that it's important to try to figure out what it is before buying anything. So again, more figuring things out:

For the rear horn it's pretty simple - can you turn on the panic alarm and hear it? If you turn the panic alarm on and the lights flash but there is no sound, then yes, you need a new horn. Not sure on the part number, but if i don't find it soon the guys over at shokan.com definitely will. (link to someone replacing theirs: here)

Now the front buzzer will take good bit more investigation to figure out. When you turn your headlights on, is it recognized by the instrument cluster? Do you see the little green light/icon within the tacho turn on? I mean we have to figure out what is working properly and where might the location of problem be.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:48 PM
1st Gear

Well let's be clear here. You seem to be having two (hopefully distinct) problems. One being the alarm/buzzer in the instrument cluster up front, and the second being the horn/alarm located in the rear.

I never said it was simple and I am not trying to tell you just to get a new horn/alarm. I don't think we know what's wrong yet; it could be a faulty wire, assembly, or switch somewhere and I think that it's important to try to figure out what it is before buying anything. So again, more figuring things out:

For the rear horn it's pretty simple - can you turn on the panic alarm and hear it? If you turn the panic alarm on and the lights flash but there is no sound, then yes, you need a new horn. Not sure on the part number, but if i don't find it soon the guys over at shokan.com definitely will. (link to someone replacing theirs: here)

Now the front buzzer will take good bit more investigation to figure out. When you turn your headlights on, is it recognized by the instrument cluster? Do you see the little green light/icon within the tacho turn on? I mean we have to figure out what is working properly and where might the location of problem be.
Oh, ok. No worries man, I didn't mean to jump the gun. Just underestimated your willingness to continue to want to troubleshoot this. Thank you.

OK, so the panic alarm flashes the lights, but again, no horn.

As for the lights, yes, the green dash indicator does come on.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:46 PM
2nd Gear

Okay, so now we know for sure that your rear horn/alarm is not working and if you would like to get that fixed follow the link I posted up above, and you'll get a good idea of where it is and what you can do to fix it (just let me know if you want more details on how to take things apart)

I'm really not sure what to think of the front buzzer thing. It sounds like the actual buzzer on the instrument cluster still works, and the car seams to recognize that the front door is opened - so you could have a problem with the headlight control module, the actual headlight switch assembly, or something in the instrument cluster. Are there any other symptoms at all that you have that might help?

Quick Reply: Lights left on alarm?