Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to Buy First Audi

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 06:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Looking to Buy First Audi

All,

I'm looking at four door Audi's for the family vehicle. I've just started my search online, reading, learning, etc. First thought was an A4 Turbo but the "oil burning" issue doesn't sit will with me. I understand all vehicles have their unique issues and maintenance requirements. I have a 1998 Volvo with a Turbo with 155k and it does not burn oil. Runs great. Just rebuilt the turbo, replaced vacuum lines and replaced turbo control valve, etc. I have a garage an like to work on my cars as much as I can.

What A6 years do you recommend? Why? Can you work on these cars DIY? For example, there is a 2005 A6 that I like close by but thought I'd ask some questions first.

Thanks,
JBC

Old 03-20-2011, 06:30 PM
3rd Gear

Audi's changed models (C5 to C6) in 2005. I would be a little concerned about overall reliability of that year. OOOOs are not noted for quality, but ideally the previous owner(s) would have worked out the bugs. I don't believe you can get an A6 turbo in the post-2004 years. Honestly, I haven't kept up since I like my current ride. You will find owners either love 'em, problems and all, or have lots of problems and hate the $$ drain. I have had mine since 2005, overdo maintenance, and have had few problems with a car that is close to turning 188k.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:38 AM
1st Gear

C4 models 1994-1997 have electrical issues stemming from everything electric. Drains battery over the weekend and sunroofs open at random.

C5 models 1997-2004 have water leaking issues from every orifice imaginable. Floods car, shorts out audio system, climate control and TCM.

C6 models 2004-2011 are ultra high to get serviced and repaired.

I love my wife's Audi, it drives like no other car but when it breaks it sure is tough to figure out the problem much less pay for it. I will only buy another Audi as a "Friday" car or third car and not a primary mode of transportation.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:37 PM
3rd Gear

Speaking for my sample size of one A6, I have never had a water leak. I have replaced an alternator, clutch/flywheel, axle boot covers, left upper/lower coils and emergency brake cables. I consider these repairs. Rotors, brakes, timing belts, fluid changes, filter changes, etc are all maintenance. It has just under 188k miles on it.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:42 PM
2nd Gear

Consumers Report has a larger sample size. The A6 basically came in dead last in reliability. Nice car but not for everyone.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 03-28-2011, 08:24 PM
1st Gear

My 02 A6 3.0 Quat Avant is fun to drive around and I am enjoying it, but I will be hesitated to sell my 07 Outback and use the A6 as daily driver.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:22 PM
3rd Gear

I don't know if you're still contemplating purchasing an Audi or not, but allow me to throw my 2 cents in. My only experience is with the C4 (1995) NON-quattro.
Pros:
-built like a tank;
-you'll need a good lab microscope to find rust spots on the metal sheet;
-can find some still in decent shape as far as paint gloss and "immaculate" interior (although rare);
-EASY to DIY for the vast majority of instances;
-swift engine at highway speeds - 'tis like a golf driver that overcompensates for pulls or fades;
-extremely comfortable seats (but I didn't have the pleasure of driving only luxury cars, so I may be biased based on my own comparissons)
- if driven below 70mph it returns a decent (still) 24 mpg on 91 octane
- exquisite engine bay as far as access to work around it, unlike the sister and brother quattros
- wide availability of parts from non-dealer merchants - very important
- I had no prior experience as far as working on engines, brakes, suspension; did I mention that's EASY TO WORK on? You do have experience from DIY-ing on your Volvo, so you're eons ahead of me if you'll purchase a C4.
-
Cons:
- no matter how good you'll take care of it, this sh*t never fails to happen: GASKETS and SEALS leaking like there's no ISO9003 or whatever number implemented anymore in the manufacturing plants that make these sobs.
You buy a brand name thinking that's quality, but that's all you buy anymore...
- weathered parts, weathered parts, weathered parts....time has no friends when it comes to C4 Audi owners. Plastic starts to break making you yearn for Mama Dolores' peanut brittle; vacuum hoses disintegrate in your hands if you dare to touch'em first time in X years; don't you dare to touch the pillar plastic covers even if they're cracked; do not even think to take the sun visors off if you still want the vanity mirrors, etc, etc...I have a huge list of cons...LOL
- oh, my favorite: don't even think about replacing yourself the starter if it goes dead unless you're doing an engine overhaul..LMAO
(ok, isn't quite to that extent, but that sob is burried behind the alternator and wedged also behind the exhaust head)
-
All in all: if you come across a gorgeous C4 and you think of wanting it, ask yourself a simple question: am I ready to put in it some extra $ 3-4000 within a year or two?
-
As far as the other generations, I don;t know a whole lot, but when people ask for a certain part (especially people with C6s), sometimes it cannot be found but at the dealer. You can factor that in as well.
Good luck.
-
P.S. I love my junky C4 and I can't wait to put it back together before July when my daily commute starts, even though my pockets start to cling to the skin lately...

Last edited by chefro; 03-28-2011 at 11:25 PM.