Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 08:51 PM
1st Gear
Default MAF Replacement

My question: What MAF sensor is compatible with my engine, how much and where can I get it?

If you read my previous posts then you know that I have a CEL (check engine light) problem. After eliminating other causes there is only one left: The MAF (mass air flow) sensor. They are known for throwing CEL's and Audi even extended the warranty on those since many customers were dealing with faulty MAF's. Since I drive a 2000 A6 2.7T my MAF is still covered but Audi refuses to replace it without going through other options. At $120/hr labor and crazy OEM parts prices, of course. I don't want to spend a fortune on diagnosing since I did that already. Thanks!

Old 04-21-2005, 11:54 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: MAF Replacement

I don't think you can just change one MAF for another, in terms of brand. The ECU is calibrated to respond to a particular MAF sensor. I have heard 'rumblings' that the Hitachi one might work, but may require some ECU changes from the standard Bosch one.

The MAF is easy to change.. takes like 5 mins and one screw driver. Cost was $108 CND for the MAF from Audi. I just changed mine, cause Audi said it was bad... Turns out it was the TBB (Throttle Body Boot) I have my old one which I think it still good. I am in Toronto Canada, could maybe send my old one to you. and you could try it. (I think it still good, and odds are that I won't need it.)

Old 04-21-2005, 11:18 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: MAF Replacement

ORIGINAL: FootIntheGrille

I don't think you can just change one MAF for another, in terms of brand. The ECU is calibrated to respond to a particular MAF sensor. I have heard 'rumblings' that the Hitachi one might work, but may require some ECU changes from the standard Bosch one.

The MAF is easy to change.. takes like 5 mins and one screw driver. Cost was $108 CND for the MAF from Audi. I just changed mine, cause Audi said it was bad... Turns out it was the TBB (Throttle Body Boot) I have my old one which I think it still good. I am in Toronto Canada, could maybe send my old one to you. and you could try it. (I think it still good, and odds are that I won't need it.)
Thanks for the offer, I really do appreciate it. I live in St. Louis, USA. Just goes to show how many good people are out there, helping each other out. Tommorow I have the AM off from work so I scheduled an appt. with Audi to lookup my radio code (I disconnected the battery for work on the car)
and I'll trade my old core for a reman. one. If this doesn't work, I'm giving up on Audis. Weeks of work, hours of diagnostics with the VAG tool and still no fix...