Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance and repair costs

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 10:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Maintenance and repair costs

Fairly often I find in threads some reference to high maintenance costs. Does this refer to routine maintenance costs? If so, why are routing maintenance costs high.

....or does it refer to repair costs? If so, why are the repair costs high? Expensive labor and parts, or do these cars have parts and systems fail frequently?

I am interested in clarification on this issue.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:43 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Maintenance and repair costs

Yes, Audis can be high maintenance, TB needs to be done, about $ 7-900 at indie or up to $ 1500 at Audi dealer. Front control arms (total of 8 for both front wheels) give the car great handling, but wear out, again a lot more expensive that simply tie-rod ends/ bushings on a Honda.

All Audis (read "all German cars) are designed/ engineered to give great handling/ performance and that's why they cost more to buy, and more to maintain/ fix.

If a person can't/ won't fix their used Audi DIY, then it could an expensive proposition. Because of this, I won't recommend a used Audi (4 + yrs old) to my family members who don't know where the oil dipstick is, let alone how to read it.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:39 AM
2nd Gear

Wolfs, you left the Italians out. A friend of mine has a boss who owns a Ferrari F-40, and he drove only 3000 miles in 7 months, but paid more than $27k for maintenance. No, it was not used, but a brand new.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:30 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: WolfsA62.8Q

Yes, Audis can be high maintenance, TB needs to be done, about $ 7-900 at indie or up to $ 1500 at Audi dealer. Front control arms (total of 8 for both front wheels) give the car great handling, but wear out, again a lot more expensive that simply tie-rod ends/ bushings on a Honda.

All Audis (read "all German cars) are designed/ engineered to give great handling/ performance and that's why they cost more to buy, and more to maintain/ fix.

If a person can't/ won't fix their used Audi DIY, then it could an expensive proposition. Because of this, I won't recommend a used Audi (4 + yrs old) to my family members who don't know where the oil dipstick is, let alone how to read it.

What is TB?

I can do any chassis work. I would not have diagnostic equipment for electronics or computer issues.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:04 AM
2nd Gear

TB = Timing Belt = disaasemble the front end of the car = PITA = Big Bucks!

Old 01-14-2008, 09:24 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: bigsnowdog

What is TB?

I can do any chassis work. I would not have diagnostic equipment for electronics or computer issues.
One thing worth investing in is a Vag-Com tool... check the forums, you can read more about it.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:03 PM
1st Gear

Yes maintenance cost is higher (higher parts prices, and labor cost typically). If you buy new perhaps an extended warranty is worth getting (certainly was in our case). However, it drives, handles, and looks better than anything I have owned before.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:34 PM
2nd Gear

Look for the resell values-no wonder some used cars have higher resell values then others. Ask yourself if you could afford a high-maintenance girl-friend?

Old 01-14-2008, 09:19 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: nemohm

Look for the resell values-no wonder some used cars have higher resell values then others. Ask yourself if you could afford a high-maintenance girl-friend?

Are you saying that the resale values on Audis are high, or low?

Old 01-14-2008, 09:41 PM
1st Gear

You're right, Nocturnal_A62.7, Italian cars can/are expensive to maintain, and I forgot Porsche.
Generally speaking, Audi re-sale prices are high compared to domestic cars, but a little lower than BMW and Benz.
The more the car costs new, the more you'll spend on maintenance and repairs.

Quick Reply: Maintenance and repair costs