Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In the Market, Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 02:08 AM
1st Gear
Smile In the Market, Need Advice

I'm in the market for an Audi after rolling over my jeep a week or so ago. I'm currently looking at a 2001 A6 2.7L twin turbo s-line with 120k miles on it. The car has a 6 speed manual trans which I would prefer unless its better to go for the tiptronic.
Questions:

I would really like to have a six speed but is the tiptronic better reliability wise?

I know I need to make sure the timing belt/oil pump/temp gauge were changed sometime during the course of the cars life, what else do I need to look at?

Is there any way to tell if the turbo(s) are going bad w.o having a mechanic go over the car? I'm going to have it checked out anyway but would rather save time and money checking myself.

Is the 2.7L twin turbo known to have any major issues?

Any other advice not covered would be nice as well.

Thanks in advance to all,
Spencer

Old 02-12-2012, 12:25 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by SpencerAreson
I'm in the market for an Audi after rolling over my jeep a week or so ago. I'm currently looking at a 2001 A6 2.7L twin turbo s-line with 120k miles on it. The car has a 6 speed manual trans which I would prefer unless its better to go for the tiptronic.
Questions:

I would really like to have a six speed but is the tiptronic better reliability wise?

I know I need to make sure the timing belt/oil pump/temp gauge were changed sometime during the course of the cars life, what else do I need to look at?

Is there any way to tell if the turbo(s) are going bad w.o having a mechanic go over the car? I'm going to have it checked out anyway but would rather save time and money checking myself.

Is the 2.7L twin turbo known to have any major issues?

Any other advice not covered would be nice as well.

Thanks in advance to all,
Spencer
the six speed will be more reliable if you plan on tuning. there is a problem in the 6 speed with the 1st and 2nd gear syncros and collars. if the 1st and 2nd gear seem to stick look for another car. if not then proceed to the turbos.

when you drive, drive this car under all conditions. under boost. low boost all rpms. listen to the sounds from the engine. if you hear a siren or dentist drill avoid. if all you hear is the sound of the turbo then you are in good shape.

next if the owner allows you to, go under the front bumper and find the 2 intercoolers. (one on each side) there is a flathead screw holding the pin and intercooler hose. pop the intercooler hose and look for oil. if you find lots of oil avoid. if you find very little (most probably you will) then its normal. there should not be a pool of oil coming out. check both intercoolers. this will tell you how the turbo is doing.

now when you are getting ready to drive the car keep a sharp nose for a burning smell. the car usually leaks from the valve covers and cam adjuster seals. (not a big problem. easy DIY) open the hood and look for smoke from the burning oil.

ask the owner what oil he uses synthetic or dino. how often does he change the oil.

ask him when he last had the tranny serviced. (oil change)

Old 02-12-2012, 01:18 PM
1st Gear

Thank you very much for your response. One other question, my dad said he found that your supposed to have the clutch changed every 60k miles, is this true? And is it possible to change the clutch yourself? He said you have to pull the whole engine out to swap just the clutch. I'm new to the Audi scene and know literally nothing.

I have also read that theres a certain type of coolant that should be used. It's red or something like that. Is this a big deal?

Last edited by SpencerAreson; 02-12-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:03 PM
1st Gear

Thank you very much for your response. One other question, my dad said he found that your supposed to have the clutch changed every 60k miles, is this true? And is it possible to change the clutch yourself? He said you have to pull the whole engine out to swap just the clutch. I'm new to the Audi scene and know literally nothing.

I have also read that theres a certain type of coolant that should be used. It's red or something like that. Is this a big deal?
the clutch does not need to be replaced that often. only if you are experiencing some problems catching the gears.

The engine does have to come out for the job and can be done by a mech for about 1500.

the coolant is a big deal. the color of the coolant should be pinkish/red. it is called G12. if you see any funky color RUN!

some say universal coolant has been working for them but honestly id rather not risk it. the coolant is only 25 bucks at VW and possible more at the audi stealership for the same product -___-
good luck on the purchase. the 2.7 is one crazy engine. it can double its power without needing any modifications. almost everything is forged!

Old 02-12-2012, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

Thank you very much once again, i think thats all the questions I have for now, if i think of any more I will post.

Thanks,
Spencer

Old 02-12-2012, 04:09 PM
1st Gear

Timing belt svc is due at 105k miles, so if no new TB yet, you're buying the time.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:24 PM
1st Gear

The one I'm looking at has 120k miles on it, if it hasn't been done yet he will be knocking the price down at least a grand or I will not be buying it.

Thnx.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:49 PM
1st Gear

Another question, is the 2.7t or the 4.2l v8 more reliabel? Note, im not really looking to build this car it is going to be a daily driver. What is the difference in the maintanance requirements?

Old 02-12-2012, 09:55 PM
1st Gear

Another question, is the 2.7t or the 4.2l v8 more reliabel? Note, im not really looking to build this car it is going to be a daily driver. What is the difference in the maintanance requirements?
both engines are bullet proof but the 4.2 is known for having a weak tranny causing it to fail. and does not come in manual unless you do a 6 speed swap.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:14 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

really good information in this thread so far. pretty much the only thing I would add is...i really have nothing to add.

the timing service being done is a big deal. make sure it has been done and how long/many miles ago. it's mostly a mileage based thing but you also want to get a feel for how may years ago it may have been done.

good luck