Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPG on A6 Avant Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 07:38 AM
1st Gear
Default MPG on A6 Avant Quattro

I am getting about 14mpg on my used 04 A6 Avant Quattro. I mostly drive in-town.

I have two questions which I think are related:

1. Why doesn't the Audi website list any recalls for my A6 when I type in the VIN? (It actually says something like VIN not recognized). I saw something about a gas tank nipple leak for my model/year? Is it possible that there are no recalls on my particular vehicle?

2. Is it possible that a previous owner had reset the transmission's computer to put it in lower gears? The car hardly "coasts" in "D". I have to use the tiptronic manual gear selector to get it into a high enough gear so that I don't feel like I am losing momentum from engine compression while going downhill. (e.g., running in D down hill, the engine starts to slow the car.)

Thanks!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:15 AM
2nd Gear

Your gas mileage sounds right for around town driving. The car is a tank and drinks fuel like one.

#1 - call a dealer, speak to the service department and ask them. It sounds like you are typing your VIN in incorrectly.

#2 - the Audi is a bit sportier than, say, American brands that have free-wheeling transmissions, and it will hold a gear for engine braking. However, the engine braking uses little or no extra fuel so why not let it have at it?

Old 11-19-2010, 10:38 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by aschweug
1. Why doesn't the Audi website list any recalls for my A6 when I type in the VIN? (It actually says something like VIN not recognized). I saw something about a gas tank nipple leak for my model/year? Is it possible that there are no recalls on my particular vehicle?
Quote:
" xxxxxxxxxxx is not recognized OR HAS NO RECALL/CAMPAIGN ASSOCIATED WITH IT. If you have additional questions, please contact your authorized Audi dealer".

As Bob said, you're better off calling a dealer. It is possible that all the recalls on your car were completed by previous owner(s).

Old 11-19-2010, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

What engine is in your Audi? I have a 2.8 V6 in my Avant and I'm getting about 19 mpg. This is mostly in-town and stop and go freeway driving.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:17 PM
1st Gear

On the website, I am 99.9% sure that I am not typing the VIN in incorrectly. I do get the "" xxxxxxxxxxx is not recognized OR HAS NO RECALL/CAMPAIGN ASSOCIATED WITH IT". The "not recognized" bit is not very satisfying. It is possible that a previous owner completed all the recall items.

The engine is a 3.0L. I tried driving extra light to see if that would help, and I think I got 14.5 measured at the pump, almost the same as when I drive like a maniac. This is lower than what I see on the on-screen computer (~17mpg). (This discrepancy is what made me think of the gas tank recall, although I onl once had a gas smell after a fill-up.)

Thanks for your help,

AS

Old 11-19-2010, 07:19 PM
1st Gear

Thanks all,

On the website, I am 99.9% sure that I am not typing the VIN in incorrectly. I do get the "xxxxxxxxxxx is not recognized OR HAS NO RECALL/CAMPAIGN ASSOCIATED WITH IT". The "not recognized" bit is not very satisfying. It is possible that a previous owner completed all the recall items.

The engine is a 3.0L. I tried driving extra light to see if that would help, and I think I got 14.5 measured at the pump, almost the same as when I drive like a maniac. This is lower than what I see on the on-screen computer (~17mpg). (This discrepancy is what made me think of the gas tank recall, although I onl once had a gas smell after a fill-up.)

Thanks for your help,

AS

Old 11-20-2010, 01:04 AM
3rd Gear

The estimate for your model is 16 MPG for city driving.
Having said that, you're fairly close to the "official" estimate. I would assume you go every time to the same pump, fill up until it clicks (no overfill), etc, etc. When was the last time you had a "tune-up"?

Old 11-20-2010, 11:58 AM
1st Gear

I have not had an official "tune-up", but had TB service shortly after getting the car, and new tires. Just about the only things I have not changed (that I know of) are the spark plugs (Bosch) and engine air filter.

HOWEVER: The previous owner told me he did have it "tuned up because the car felt slow to him". I am wondering if something could have been adjusted to make the car stay in lower gears (consuming more gas, resulting in more downhill compression, and worse gas mileage). I am simply unaware what beside oil, filters, spark plugs, brakes can be adjusted in a tune-up.

I also suspect that my transmission may simply be old. [At 107k miles, I am too far out to do the flush.]

I don't always use the same station, but I always fill to the first click, and the numbers have been steady over the last 4 fills. I am using "Plus" gasoline. (Not really sure if that is any benefit.)

Old 11-20-2010, 12:32 PM
1st Gear

Just called dealer, who ran the VIN, and who told me that there were no outstanding recall items.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:38 PM
1st Gear

The change of tranny fluid & filter and the change of differential fluid can make a noticeable difference, change the air filter also.

Audi requires special procedure (Vag-Com to monitor the liq temp & certain liquid on changing the ATF, so make sure bring it to the dealer or indy shop specialized on Audi.

I have 3.0L Avant Quat and avg 18.6mpg in avg 25 mph city driving. You can reset these numbers to zero and start over again after the changes.

Quick Reply: MPG on A6 Avant Quattro